Cannot save to jpeg – file gets corrupted?

HF
Posted By
Henry_Fred
Mar 21, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First let me say, I have searched through the forum and can’t find the answer to what I am looking for. That is probably because I am not really sure what my problem is.

As of yesterday I cannot save a file to jpeg (using PS7)

I have done a virus scan and all the other regular checks but nothing is showing up.

Basically this is what I am doing.
Opening a new document – adding some designs, flattening document and then saving. I choose to save it as a jpeg and everything seems to go fine until I go to open up the saved document. Then there is nothing there.

Doesn’t seem to matter if it is a new file or an old file. Same problem. (Mode is set to RGB-8bit)

Sometimes if I do a save as and give the file a completely new name a pop-up comes up and says the following:
Could not save as "C:\…\test.jpeg" because that document is currently open. Save using a different name, or close the document and try again.

Of course this makes no sense since I am doing a save as and giving the file a new name.

Can anyone help me? Or point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

H
Ho
Mar 21, 2009
Sounds like the curse of the psicon.dll, which is responsible for Explorer psd icon previews. It was abandoned due to data loss/corruption.
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 21, 2009
Agreed. Search for psicon.dll and rename it psicon.dll.old. Reboot.

Bob
HF
Henry_Fred
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for replying.

Tried your fix and rebooted and still have the same problem. (tried both a new and an old file again).

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks.
HF
Henry_Fred
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks – 7.0.1 installed and still the same problem.

I have narrowed things down a bit.

It seems if I create a new doc 2400×3000 for example I can convert it to a jpeg no problem.

If I start with 3600×3600 I get the problem. Same steps as the above file with the only difference being the size.

Anyone have a solution for this as it seems like it is size related (note that I have created at this size before and never had this problem).

Thanks.
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 21, 2009
Read posts one and two again.

Bob
HF
Henry_Fred
Mar 21, 2009
Bob – did you meant this?

Search for psicon.dll and rename it psicon.dll.old. Reboot

I did mention that I tried this and nothing changed.
BL
Bob Levine
Mar 21, 2009
Hmmm. Newsreader missed that one.

Sorry.

Bob
K
KatWoman
Mar 22, 2009
as I remember version 7.0 did this until the 7.01 update was installed have you patched it to that version?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections