Has anyone had trouble installing the new ATI 9.3 graphics driver?

DC
Posted By
d_cole
Mar 18, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I couldn’t get it to install – hangs on "Detecting graphics hardware…" – on a 4850 board. It would be helpful to know if others are having problems.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DE
David_E_Crawford
Mar 18, 2009
I loaded up and rebooted the 9.3’s with no problem. 4870 card.

I did the uninstall old drivers first, rebooted, then install, rebooted.
DC
d_cole
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks. I must have gremlins.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Mar 18, 2009
I forgot to mention that I did the whole package install. If you have Vista did you right click on the icon and choose "unlock" then hit apply? Compatibility tab, choose run as administrator.

Here is a link to driver sweeper. This may help.

<http://www.phyxion.net/>
DC
d_cole
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks. I’m afraid all efforts have proved fruitless. I have uninstalled from Control Panel and Driver Swept and the Catalyst Manager no longer shows in the list of installed programs. But I still can’t instal 9.3 – indeed I cannot now install any ATI or Gigabyte/ATI driver – the process gets stuck on Analyze – Detecting Graphics Hardware..". This then freezes the computer and I have shut the power off and start again.

Strangely, when I reboot, an ATI driver (8.501.0.0) is present and I can see the display normally. ATI Catalyst Manager isn’t (of course because I haven’t been able to reinstall it). If the software is not seeing the hardware then that’s a pretty dire situation.

I have a load of work to do now but when it’s done I’ll reformat and reinstall – looks like the only answer.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Mar 19, 2009
Get rid of that driver first, either using Uninstall and/or cleaning out all references to ATI. You will most likely have to pull ATI entries from the registry as well, and possibly certain non-shared dlls.

I have had to do that just to change from ATI to nVidia.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 19, 2009
Completely uninstalling graphics drivers(works for both nvidia and ati drivers):
1)Uninstall driver using Add/Remove (Programs and Features for vista) from the Control Panel
2)Install Driver Sweeper from < http://downloads.guru3d.com/Driver-Sweeper-beta-2.0.0-downlo ad-2186.html>
2)Reboot in safe mode: press and hold F8 while your computer boots up (You should get a list of options if you’ve done it right) and select Safe Mode from he list.
3)Run Driver Sweeper while in safe mode and remove any leftover traces of the graphics card driver
4)Restart computer into normal mode and install your new driver
WE
William_Edwards
Mar 19, 2009
I had the same problem. I realized that even though I had purchased a Radeon 3870 video card, it was manufactured by Diamond Multimedia. When I went to the Diamond Multimedia website and downloaded the driver for that card from their website, it recognized the card and installed. Perhaps your card was manufactured by a company other than ATI. It is easy to overlook. I wanted the driver update to take advantage of the Open GL performance boost by using the video card’s memory. After the driver update, it worked great. Hope this helps.
S
SDA
Mar 23, 2009
@d Cole: Whenever something like this happens, use the system restore function to go back to when your system was working properly. Then try again. In the future when installing new software/hardware; create a manual restore point before doing so. Helps in rolling back to a more recent point than the system restore point may give.
DC
d_cole
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks for the advice. It’s a Gigabyte card which I eventually persuaded to install itself by going for the nuclear option – reformat and OS reinstall etc. I’ve never had ATI driver problems before.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections