Posted By
Art_A._Vandelay
Mar 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been frustrated by the functionality of the zoom in Photoshop – and I don’t mean the Zoom Tool, but simple zoom in/out operations. I seem to recall that the default behaviour in Photoshop was that you zoomed with Ctrl+mousewheel scrolling, and if you just scrolled, then the picture would pan up/down (vertically). And you could untick the "Zoom with scroll wheel" option if you didn’t want Ctrl+scroll to mean "zoom".

However for a while now, having that option ticked seems to mean that scrolling (with no Ctrl) is all it takes to zoom in/out, and if you untick the option then you need to press Alt+scroll to zoom; in either case, there is no shortcut for panningup/down.

Anyway, whether this was really ever the case or not, my question is: is it somehow possible to make it so Ctrl+scroll zooms and (simple) scroll pans vertically? Anticipated thanks for any help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dennis_S
Mar 16, 2009
What PS version are we talking about?

Here is the behavior I see in CS4 when all the Zoom options are unchecked in Edit>Preferences, General tab:

– Scroll wheel alone: Vertical pan
– Scroll wheel & Ctrl: Horizontal pan (a little weird that since the cursor changes to a plus magnifying glass)
– Scroll wheel & Alt: Zoom

It’s not exactly what you asked for but it’s close (Alt instead of Ctrl for zoom).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections