Anyone notice Open GL 2.0 performance differences between PS CS4 and PS CS4 Extended?

JS
Posted By
Jim_Strenk
Mar 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Prior to my recent purchase and installation of PS CS4 Standard, I had downloaded and installed PS CS4 Extended, which is the TRIAL VERSION of PS CS4.

I’ve noticed several difference between the TRIAL VERSION and Standard.

While using the TRIAL VERSION, The Arrange Documents Pull down showed all the icons within sections 1 and 2.

With the Standard Version installed the same icons associated with the Arrange Documents Pull down are no longer visible.

While using the TRIAL VERSION, image magnifications of 500% or higher were displaying the Pixel Grid.

With the Standard Version installed, those same magnifications NO LONGER SHOW the Pixel Grid.

While using the TRIAL VERSION, the Preferences – Performance GPU Dialog box was grayed out.

With the Standard Version the GPU Dialog box is stilled grayed out, but now reveals (in black text) that "No GPU options available with Photoshop Standard".

Was the OpenGL specs for the TRIAL VERSION somehow "loosened" or made less stringent versus the OpenGL specs for PS CS4?

Is there any other explanation for the differences in OpenGL performance between the TRIAL VERSION and the Standard version?

Any tips, suggestions or errata on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 16, 2009
you can turn on or off the Pixel Grid by going to View->Show->Pixel Grid.

As for the GPU dialog box, it seems as they just modified what the text in there(and maybe added some options since the trial version). Don’t know if they did anything under the hood but you shouldn’t see any difference as you don’t have the necessary video card for this feature anyway, or so says Photoshop
B
Buko
Mar 16, 2009
Photoshop is Photoshop there is no difference between the two versions as they are the same application. the only difference is the fact that the serial number designates which version of PSCS4 is unlocked.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 16, 2009
Hi Jim,

The check for GPU (OpenGL drawing support) is the same for both versions with a slight wrinkle concerning enablement. CS4 Extended will split VRAM addressing for OpenGL drawing features and 3D features. So in your case, it should have improved the chances for OpenGL drawing features to enable, not the other way around.

A few things to try are updating to 11.0.1, resetting your Ps prefs. at launch (Ctrl + Shift + Alt), check video card drivers to make sure they are updated.

What OS are you running, and what are your video card specs.?

The missing icons are unrelated to OpenGL. The issue is a conflict with plug-ins, which some 3rd party plug-ins trigger. The current workaround is to try each of the 3rd party About Plug-in… screens until the icons reappear (this has to be done each time Ps is launched).
S
SCraig
Mar 16, 2009
As for the missing icons, do you have Nik plugins installed?

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6c47c/43>
JS
Jim_Strenk
Mar 17, 2009
Steve:

Your assessment of my missing icons is 100% spot on! Looking at the number of available plug-ins on my machine found me randomly testing individual plug-ins. Seeing the number of plug-ins that I would have to go through led me to stop and give careful examination to the entire list of plug-ins.

Almost immediately, I found one that I suspected might not be a default plug-in. My hunch turned out to be correct.

The "malformed" plug-in is called Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint Pro, version 1.6.0. Once I hit the OK Button for the plug-in, all missing icons related to the Arrange Documents pull down menu reappeared! And yes, the workaround you prescribed is not persistent, but works on a session to session basis.

Is there a way to either "ignore" or remove this plug-in?

Is there a way to either "un-ignore" of reinstall this plug-in should I choose to do so at some later time?

Here are a few quick answers to all you others that helped me out:

1) PS CS4 11.0.1 has/was installed.

2) Using Windows XP Professional SP3.

3) The wording in the GPU Dialog Box has been marked as a DEFECT. It apparently was missed prior to Release to Market (RTM). I suspect that it will be addressed in some later update to PS CS4. As to when, only The Almighty knows.

4) No other plug-ins including Nik plug-ins have been installed.

Thank you all of you for your kind assistance in this matter. It is deeply appreciated!
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 17, 2009
Hi Jim,

You can disable the loading of that plug-in by renaming it with a tilde (~) at the front. When you want to load it again just rename to remove the tilde. The plug-in should be located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins or the Additional Plug-ins Folder path if used in your Preferences> Plug-Ins.

Glad to hear you found it fairly quickly. Be aware that this may not be the only plug-in causing the problem (it might just be the first in the queue).

regards,
steve
JS
Jim_Strenk
Mar 18, 2009
Steve:

Thanks once again for your reply regarding the disabling of plug-ins.

Do I rename the folder containing the plug-in files, or do I rename the files themselves with a leading tilde?

For testing purposes, I MOVED the Canon Utilities folder to another location. Moving the folder back and forth verified that the Canon Utilities is the offending plug-in. Having just purchased CS4, the remaining plug-ins are all the standard plug-ins that are loaded by default.

I have an additional question regarding plug-ins:

Are plug-ins "portable" from one version to the next? In other words, would a CS2 plug-in work with CS4 without being edited/re-written?

The Canon plug-in files *.8LI and *.8BF are both dated 11/12/2008. Might these be to "old" for CS4?

Again I thank you for your assistance in this matter. I’m amazed at how much I’ve learned about CS4 in just a week or so due to you and others that have been assisting me and answering my questions. You’ve all been a great help!!

Regards,

Jim
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 18, 2009
Hi Jim,

It’s nice to hear the forum community is working so well for you. 🙂

You need to rename the plug-in files themselves; renaming the parent folder won’t work. I wouldn’t say the Canon plug-ins are "old" but it appears they could benefit from an update to address the missing icon issue. Thanks for verifying these as another source; I’ll follow up with Canon.

Regarding plug-in portability, there are a few factors that control whether they will load in newer versions of Ps. The big one is OS changes and hardware changes. For instance, there are changes to Vista that might break older plug-ins. Also, no older plug-ins will load on the 64-bit version of Ps. On the Mac side, there have been such things as OSX, and chipset changes (PPC vs. MacTel). Some providers have also used activation, so you’ll have to make sure to check on their policy and implementation for transferring plug-ins.

Very generally, no plug-in can be made fully future proof but they should be usable across a few versions. Where that doesn’t hold true are disruptive changes such as 64 bit native requirements or chipset architecture changes. Plug-ins can also use a variety of technologies for their UI which muddies the water a bit concerning forward compatibility. It is best to try before you buy and ask specific questions regarding version support.

One last thing, you can also find plenty of resources from the online Help and Support site (Help> Photoshop Help… F1) new to CS4.

regards,
steve
JS
Jim_Strenk
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks Steve for the reply and contacting Canon.

I must have beaten you contacting Canon!

Through regular customer support channels, I was able to report the problem with their plug-in. After several phone calls, an engineer was able to test and replicate the problem I’ve been describing. Funny thing though, I got a call from the Level 1 technician that took my call and thanked me for reporting the problem. I was told that a updating of the plug-in will be made. As an aside, he mentioned another report about the icons. That must have been you!

Should future plug-in problems occur, I shall rename the offending files with a tilde, rather than rename folders.

I have used and downloaded the CS4 PDF help file and have used it on several occasions. What it doesn’t seem to supply is the nuts and bolts, under the hood information.

On another subject, what might cause Ps CS4 to load slowly? I’ve made some changes to the Windows XP O/S in order to use WIA services and the WIA command within CS4. So far, I’ve been unsuccessful in getting WIA to work on my machine. Is a lack of WIA support a mission critical issue? What do I miss not having WIA support?

I’ve noticed on several occasions where CS4 takes about 1 minute and 35 seconds to load. On other occasions, CS4 has taken as little as 3 seconds.

Most of the long loads have to do with Plug-in searches and TWAIN support. Most if not all the other checkups don’t seem to vary much in regards to load time.

The Canon Plug-in has been removed at this point. So, slow loading is not a function of the Canon Plug-in.

Once again Steve, thank you so much for your great answers. You are too kind!

Sincerely,

Jim Strenk
708-563-4010
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 25, 2009
CS4 should launch in under 20 seconds (that’s the time for the slowest, oldest laptop we coudl find). If it’s taking more than that: excessive numbers of files in the plugins folder (don’t put a ton of other files in there, just the plugins), bad printer drivers, bad display drivers, bad TWAIN drivers, etc. could also contribute to slower launches.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 25, 2009
When Photoshop is loading check the splash screen to see at what component it stalls the most at
JS
Jim_Strenk
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for your replies, Chris and Zeno!

While I haven’t checked the support folders within CS4, there shouldn’t be any changes. To solve the Canon Plug-in problem, I simply deleted the folder that contained the plug-in. I’ve added NOTHING to the support folders that I KNOW OF.

As I stated to Steve, I’m attempting to start the WIA service. I’ve been using Restore Points frequently in an attempt to get WIA running, which so far has been unsuccessful.

Should I run into the slow startup again, I will look throughout the support folders for changes that may or may not be happening with a Restore Point.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Zeno, please read my reply to Steve for slow loading modules.

Sorry for the discussion by email if that disturbed either of you.

Regards,

Jim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections