TI
Posted By
Technical_illustrator
Mar 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS2 Indesign and Photoshop 7 on a PC. I have to prepare color photos for a printer located in China. They want all images to be CMYK ..tiff.

I now have an assortment of about 100 images from various sources around the world, there are .tif, .jpg. .bmp, and .psd. All of them appear to be RGB. There are images with: 1) no color profile, 2) sRGB IE60966-2.1, and Adobe RGB 1998.

I have been converting these to .tif (and using one dpi/pixel resolution for all images).

Do I just select/save as color mode CMYK? Or are there special settings/profiles I need to know about for China? My Chinese language skills are way, way far worse than the printer’s English skills. I was hoping that someone in this group would be familiar with RGB to CMYK for foreign printers.

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Ho
Mar 13, 2009
I have nothing of value to add but I am curious about your choice of 1 dpi as the resolution setting.
F
Freeagent
Mar 13, 2009
Me too.

In any case, my (limited) experience with printers who want CMYK but do not specify any particular profile, is that they are not color managed in any way and so it’s hit or miss. Anything can happen.

If it’s not possible to get them to tell you which CMYK space to use, I’d at least supply additional sRGB files for reference.

Others with more experience will no doubt chime in.
TI
Technical_illustrator
Mar 13, 2009
Sorry for the confusion — I meant "one" not in the number one — but I mean that I am using the same resolution for all images. "One" in this case was to mean: "singular."

I was wondering if there was a commonly accepted CYMK color profile that is preferred by book printers in China.
H
Ho
Mar 13, 2009
Ah, same resolution for all files. Got it. 🙂

As far as your CMYK issue, I think I’d hesitate to run any job at a shop where I couldn’t communicate with the staff. Are you tied to this particular printer for some reason?
G
Gener
Mar 13, 2009
The Color Management forum deals more with international commercial print standards. They might be able to help you answer this one.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.eea5b31>
TI
Technical_illustrator
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks guys. Great tips, and it is wonderful to discover the color management site. Now I don’t feel lost.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections