Posted By
Hannam_Mike
Mar 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Real newbie question here:
I have CS3 installed on my windows XP computer. It is notinternet capable, have second online computer for that purpose. I only have RAW version 4.0 on my PS3 program purchased several years ago. I have downloaded the upgrade for RAW 4.6 on my internet computer and with a CF card have moved the file over to my other computer where PS3 resides. The file has been unzipped and is on my desktop in that computer at the moment. Now what do I do with the file? Where do I put this upgrade so that it will be put into effect with my PS and adobe RAW program. Obviously I have a very limited knowledge of computers and this is the first time I have ever downloaded any sort of plug in to be put into practise. Any help that someone could give me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, in advance
Mike Hannam

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RS
Robert_Shomler
Mar 5, 2009
On the Camera Raw 4.6 downloads page there’s a link to Camera Raw 4.6 ReadMe pdf file that provides manual installation instructions.

Camera Raw 4.6 page:
<www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4040>

Here’s the part you need:

Manual installation Windows

1. Exit Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
4. Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats.
5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.

There is a separate Camera Raw forum, should you have more questions after installing 4.6.
E
ElliR
Mar 5, 2009
And if that’s too difficult for you (only joking) 🙂 go to Start > Search and type in Camera Raw. When the search shows you the file path as given in para 4 of the previous post, right click on the line > Explore and hey presto, as though by magic, there should be your .8bi file. Remove it (save it on the desktop or somewhere for a few days should things not work out) and place the new .8bi file in its place.

When you relaunch Photoshop go to Help > About > Camera Raw which should then indicate the newer version of Camera Raw being installed. If it doesn’t then you’ve put it in the wrong place so now start over all over again (without going to jail) and try again. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections