How do I extract a CLEAN version of this image ?

B
Posted By
BobTaylorProductions
Feb 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is a stock photo. (www.BobTaylorProductions.com/psinfo) Using Photshop (and I’m really a nubie here) how do I extract a really clean (and by that I mean with VERY clear edges) copy of this.
I’m taking it into SWISH and trying to make the white background transparent, but I keep getting fuzzy edge artifacts around the CD’s .
How do I make them sharp in Photoshop first or how do I create a nice clean transparent background so that the edges of the CD’s are sharp?
Please be sensitive to the fact that I’m just learning Photoshop

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

ND
Nick_Decker
Feb 28, 2009
Bob, which tool are you using to make your selection? For the smaller of the two CDs, it looks like you just need to go to Select>Modify>Contract, then enter in the necessary number of pixels to make the selection smaller (to get rid of the white outer circle around the CD). Also, be sure that you haven’t specified any amount of Feathering for the selection. That should keep the selection edges nice and crisp.
F
Freeagent
Feb 28, 2009
Just in case that went over your head 😉

Use the elliptical marquee, hold alt+shift as you drag to constrain it to a perfect circle from center. If necessary, nudge the marquee with the arrow keys.

Use "add to selection"

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1AZxYagnhtgrjzp6sX SioQAP5PeE1>

for the second CD. Finally, use "subtract from selection" to punch out the holes in the middle.

With the selection all set, copy + paste to put that on a separate layer surrounded by transparency.

Now you need to delete the Background layer, and to do that you must turn it into a "live" layer first by double-clicking it in the Layers panel.

Save to a format that supports transparency (psd,tiff,png but not jpeg).
B
BobTaylorProductions
Mar 1, 2009
Yes…very comprehensive.
Thank you for taking the time.
bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections