MG
Posted By
Margaret_Greene
Feb 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason, when I down loaded the new version of CS4 and installed it, I now have two entries listed in "my programs" folder. One says Adobe Ps CS4 and the other is Adobe Ps CS4 (64-bit). I’m not sure what the difference is or if I’m supposed to have both or why. I’m running on Windows Vista. By the way, my Lightroom 2 application has the "64-bit" next to it as well. Any ideas?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Feb 27, 2009
one is the 64 bit version of the program, one is the 32 bit version.
MG
Margaret_Greene
Feb 28, 2009
Ok, so maybe this is a ridiculous question, but what’s the difference?
SG
steve_guilhamet
Feb 28, 2009
Hi Margaret,

You have the 64-bit edition of Windows Vista. 🙂

The biggest bullet point difference for Photoshop and Lightroom is the ability to allocate more RAM.

For much more background, try here:

<http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html>

regards,
steve
MG
Margaret_Greene
Feb 28, 2009
Ok, I read through this a little, and I’m inferring that I want to be using the 64-bit version, but then what do I do with the other? Is it taking up HD space, do I delete? Apparently I’m not so "tech-savy"
MG
Margaret_Greene
Feb 28, 2009
I guess I should rephrase my question…I’m not so much asking about the bits, but more why do I seemingly have two versions of the software after the install? I just don’t want to end up duplicating work.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Feb 28, 2009
Hi,

If you have 3rd party plug-ins then you probably want to keep the 32-bit version around. Many plug-ins haven’t ported over to be 64 bit compatible yet.

I hope I didn’t come off as snarky, it is just a well treaded topic here in the forums.

The big win with 64 bit is large document performance (500MB and bigger) by being able to utilize over 4GB RAM.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 28, 2009
If you are thinking "I never have files that big", don’t worry. Having a 64-bit system is helping in other ways and you are at the forefront of technology.

Even if you could work out a way to do it, it is not a good idea to try and remove either 64 0r 32-bit version. It will only cause grief. Hard drive space is not so precious these days. If your drive is getting full, consider moving some of your own stuff, like image files, over to an external USB hard drive – they are dirt cheap these days.

So is RAM; if your computer can take it, add some more.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 28, 2009
When someone has a machine and doesn’t even realize it shipped with the 64 bit version, this is a good indication that 64 bit is becoming fairly mainstream.

Margaret hasn’t said so but if I had to guess, I’d go with HP being the brand of machine she has. They install the 64 bit version of Vista on a quite a few models.

Bob
A
anshum
Mar 1, 2009
Continuing to what Steve and John said , if you still want to remove 32 bit version of Photoshop , then Uninstall whole Photoshop CS4 , again install and select only 64 bit version of Photoshop while installing . But yet again if you need some plugins that are availaible only with 32 bit app , you may need to reinstall 32 bit Photoshop app.
J
jls
Mar 2, 2009
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:55:05 -0800, "John Joslin" wrote:

If you are thinking "I never have files that big", don’t worry. Having a 64-bit system is helping in other ways and you are at the forefront of technology.

The forefront? I’ve been working in 64-bit since around 1992, give or take.

LOL
RD
Ray_Drake
Mar 5, 2009
Is there a way to uninstall the 64bit version while keeping the 32bit version?
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 5, 2009
Hi Ray,

Sorry, there isn’t a way to uninstall just the 64bit version. This is a limit in the license technology.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections