Posted By
mainsoft
Feb 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

A lot of users are hit by this bug that appears when installing certain plugins under CS4 (Nik Software plugins for example):

– the menu bar buttons that should be highlighted in color when hovering them switch to a full grey area.
– the 2 top Panels in the Arrange Documents drop down menu are invisible.

Adobe say this is a problem with older plugins and a misunderstanding about how resources are managed in plugins (read : it’s a developer mistake) and plugin vendors don’t make any firm statement about this issue.

The workaround that generally works is to close and reload the plugin but this works only for the current session.

It would be nice if Adobe could give us users clear and detailed technical information about this issue. Many of us are developers or power users and since the communication between the plugin vendors and Adobe doesn’t seem to be that effective, at least we would be able to transmit the information to the vendor’s technical support ourselves. And as a developer, I’d like to know what mistake so many developers have made when using the CS4 SDK.

It’s very annoying to live with such trivial problems since months without seeing any fix released.

Patrick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 26, 2009
I would suggest that this is an issue that should be brought up in the SDK forum.
M
mainsoft
Feb 26, 2009
Don,

I’m not sure. Of course, this is a development problem but this is also a lasting communication problem between Adobe and third-party addin developers.

Since I’m not aware of any document produced by Adobe explaining how to avoid what appears to be a common programming mistake and since on the other hand, a lot of third-party developers don’t seem to be aware of this SDK pitfall, I’d like users that are not developers to be able to tell the third-party support: "Hey, this is a known problem. Please just have a look there.". They don’t need to understand what the programming problem is. They need to be able to give the information to the relevant technical support.

This is why I’d like this information (or a link to it) published in a forum that a "normal" user is supposed to visit: this one. Not the SDK forum.

Patrick
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 26, 2009
Have you asked about this on the SDK mailing list?
Or contacted the Adobe product manager who works with third party plugin developers?

We maintain pretty active communication with third party developers.
M
mainsoft
Feb 27, 2009
wrote:
Have you asked about this on the SDK mailing list?
Or contacted the Adobe product manager who works with third party plugin developers?

We maintain pretty active communication with third party developers.

Chris,

However, it seems that there’s a communication problem about this particular issue, at least with some major vendors. I received a message from Nik Software yesterday telling me that they are aware of the problem and working on a fix. However, this is not a new problem and since it is apparently a well-known misunderstanding about how some PS APIs are working and since many plugins from various vendors are triggering this misbehavior of the PS UI, I guess this must have been documented somewhere. I can’t imagine that this is not the case. If Nik Software had received the right information from Adobe, the problem should be gone since a long time.

Well, ok, I’ll ask on the SDK forum.

Regards.

Patrick
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 27, 2009
The SDK mailing list should be the conduit for that kind of information. Once we have more solid documentation, we’ll probably make a post in the SDK forum.

I think this boils down to a case of incomplete documentation. We thought it was complete, and some vendors did the right thing. But apparently the documentation wasn’t complete because someone else reading it went and did something they shouldn’t have.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections