Posted By
Milan_L.
Feb 20, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I read and read and searched but couldn’t find issue like mine.

After I installed PS CS4 for the first time, everything worked fine. OpenGL support also worked.

I updated nVidia drivers from 17x.xx to 181.22 and problem appeared.

When I open any psd document, or create new one, I do not see content of it. I see UI, Tools, Tabs, Panels, but I do not see content of document and guidlines. I even see content in layers panel, but not in the main window.

However if I "float window", "untab" it, and start dragging it around I see content. As soon as I release mouse everything again disappears.

I updated drivers to 182.06, latest as of this writing, and problem is not solved.

– disabling PhysX does not help.
– disabling "Use for image display" in OpenGL advanced settings in PS does not help. – disabling all options in OpenGL advanced settings does not help.

– disabling OpenGL in PS completely, helps.

Windows is updated.

Does anyone have similar problem? Any suggestions or workaround?

Because card is listed as supported, and PS used to work with OpenGL enabled correctly, I guess there must be solution, beside installing older drivers.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MG
Michael_Gaston
Feb 20, 2009
Hi !
I’ve exactly the same problem on Vista 32bits Pro and with a NVIDIA 8800GT. Like you, I search a solution in vain. Today, I try to downgrade the drivers of my graphic card to an older but the problem persists.
KP
Kwan_Parker
Feb 20, 2009
I have two systems, both of which work well with CS4.

The oldest is a Dell XPS 400 working under XP Pro with an NVidia 7900GS. When I first installed CS4, until I updated the driver, I had problems. Afterwards, no problems.

The newer system is a Dell XPS 730 working under Vista Ultimate 32-bit with dual NVidia SLI GTX280s. Not any problem what-so-ever. And I’m using the original OEM-provided, not updated, GTX 280 drivers. (Except Photoshop / CS4 does not support more than one video card.)

Wish I knew why my system seems to work flawlessly while others are having so many problems. I’m just posting this comment to let you and others know some of us are lucky to . . . apparently . . . have the right mix of hardware and software compatibility.

Best and good luck,
K.
ML
Milan_L.
Feb 21, 2009
I had the same "luck" before I updated drivers 🙂
B
BJNicholls
Feb 23, 2009
I think Adobe’s recommendation to run the latest drivers is nonsense. Nvidia does a poor job of checking out drivers for its consumer (gamer) product line. I have a GTX 260 card and with the latest Nvidia driver I’m getting apparently random mishandling of drop down menus – they sometimes drop down with transparency – and if I click on a selection the graphic for that selection will remain on top of everything until a new transparent drop down appears and I use it, or I put the system to sleep and awaken it.

Kwan, I fear your happy hardware mix is potentially a driver change away from display problems, so I’d recommend you don’t follow Adobe’s advice and run the latest drivers for your adapaters.

If you have to roll back your drivers to get back to a functioning system, you may need to use a driver uninstaller to clean out the files that aren’t touched by uninstallation and reinstallation.

Here are two that I’ve used trying to debug issues that I had with a previous Nvidia 9800 card:

Driver Sweeper (freeware)

<http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655>

Driver Cleaner Pro (free evaluation only)

< http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Driver -Cleaner.shtml>

Welcome to the tail end of a product that’s driven by the gaming market. The Nvidia Quadro CX card has essentially the same performance as the GTX 260 card I’m running. But the Quadro series drivers are optimized for workstation reliability and productivity. Unfortunately, there’s a $1000 extra cost for the workstation card and access to drivers that aren’t perpetually being tweaked for better performance with the most popular games.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections