How can I reinstall CS2 after not uninstalling properly?

LJ
Posted By
Linda_Jean_Scott
Feb 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope someone can help me since after being on the phone with Adobe for almost 3 hours, they told me they don’t do ‘support’ for CS2 anymore.

I bought CS2 and registered it about 4 years ago. I’ve had it installed in the same computer ever since.

Just recently I had virus problems and Dell re-set my computer back to factory settings. The Geek Squad backed up all my photos and documents, but I have to re-install all the software.

I installed CS2 and the last step was to put in my serial number, which I did. I got a message insinuating that I didn’t have a legit copy. I called Adobe, and they told me that it was the correct number. But, they flat out refused to give me any ‘technical help’ as to why I can’t complete the installation.

I read some of the questions here and am now thinking I was supposed to have uninstalled the software. But I didn’t. So, it must be looking like I’m someone else trying to get the program for free. I just don’t know.

Please, please help me. I’m not awfully computer literate and I’m totally stressed out from all that has happened with the computer.

Thanks much for any advice!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

M
Mylenium
Feb 13, 2009
Well, the question is, did you ever register the product on the Adobe site? If so, the support staff should by all means be able to release all your activations by simply cross-checking with that data and run you through the challenge code procedures, if necessary. If not, then I’m afraid indeed buying an upgrade is the only way to get up and running. Unfortunately the licensing and activation system is just one ugly black box where outsiders can’t do anything…

Mylenium
LJ
Linda_Jean_Scott
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks for responding.

I must have registered the product because I had no problem installing it the first time. When I called ‘Customer Service’ they seemed to have all my information right there. She even said that the serial number I gave her was correct!

But she just kept telling me I had to go here and get the information from other customers. I told her how assinine that response was. I bought the product from Adobe and they should be helping. She said that there was no tech support for CS2.

I’m guessing it’s just a way to force me to buy an upgrade. I’m on ss disability and just don’t have that kind of extra money. And I shouldn’t be forced to have to upgrade since I have a legitimate product. This all seems illegal to me.

I’ll keep watching here for any solutions. I’m also going to try calling Dell to see if they can help in any way.

This is so distressing …
DE
David_E_Crawford
Feb 13, 2009
Linda,
Here is a link to Manually remove cs2. Hope this helps. For windows.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=33 1405>
J
Jim
Feb 14, 2009
wrote in message
I hope someone can help me since after being on the phone with Adobe for almost 3 hours, they told me they don’t do ‘support’ for CS2 anymore.
I bought CS2 and registered it about 4 years ago. I’ve had it installed in the same computer ever since.

Just recently I had virus problems and Dell re-set my computer back to factory settings. The Geek Squad backed up all my photos and documents, but I have to re-install all the software.

I installed CS2 and the last step was to put in my serial number, which I did. I got a message insinuating that I didn’t have a legit copy. I called Adobe, and they told me that it was the correct number. But, they flat out refused to give me any ‘technical help’ as to why I can’t complete the installation.

I read some of the questions here and am now thinking I was supposed to have uninstalled the software. But I didn’t. So, it must be looking like I’m someone else trying to get the program for free. I just don’t know.
Please, please help me. I’m not awfully computer literate and I’m totally stressed out from all that has happened with the computer.
Thanks much for any advice!
Sometimes, in a situation like this (where a program is neither installed correctly nor uninstalled correctly) reinstalling the software makes things right. So, I advise taking this step.

And, yes, Adobe stops support of a given version when the next one is released.

Jim
LJ
Linda_Jean_Scott
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, the program was somehow deleted way back in October when Dell helped me by phone. I didn’t think it would be a problem since I have the paid for cd and serial number. I think the original installation just got wiped out. I can’t un-ring the bell.

The program has now been re-installed, but the serial number will not ‘take’ for some reason. It’s the last step in being able to use it.

Could something be wrong with the harware- the computer? Could Dell possibly help with this? Or is it an Adobe problem?
J
Jim
Feb 14, 2009
wrote in message
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, the program was somehow deleted way back in October when Dell helped me by phone. I didn’t think it would be a problem since I have the paid for cd and serial number. I think the original installation just got wiped out. I can’t un-ring the bell.

The program has now been re-installed, but the serial number will not ‘take’ for some reason. It’s the last step in being able to use it.
Could something be wrong with the harware- the computer? Could Dell possibly help with this? Or is it an Adobe problem?

PS hardly was removed by accident…
However, removing PS does not remove the preference files. You must do this yourself. These are hidden files located in each user’s area of documents & savings (each user has a unique set of preferences). If I remember correctly, the extention is .pps.
Flaws in the preferences cause lots and lots of odd problems. Jim
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 16, 2009
but the serial number will not ‘take’ for some reason. It’s the last step in being able to use it.

adobe can and has to help with that. if you get a rep that won’t, escalate the call to a supervisor or manager.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections