Posted By
A_Lee_B
Jan 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’ve searched around for an answer to this, but a question for the same problem doesn’t seem to have been asked anywhere that I’ve found, so I hope someone here might know.

I am running CS on Windows XP. I previously used the Liquify filter on a large picture with no problems. Now I want to do a new one, but the preview of Liquify won’t work – the picture comes up, but I can’t see the real-time changes. When I hit OK the changes show up on the picture, but since I couldn’t see what I was doing, they’re not what I want.

I have found where someone has had this problem, but it seems like they always had it and was never able to see the preview, which isn’t the case here. I have tried updating my video driver, like someone advised in that case, but it did nothing. I made no changes to the computer’s hardware since it last worked (May). I have also tried using a small file to see if it was the size of the file, but the preview didn’t work then either.

I have an external drive where my file resides, with 74.5 GB free. 12.5 GB is free on my internal HD, which is where Photoshop is installed. 931 MB RAM. Since it worked before, I’m hoping it’s something like clearing up more memory space on my HD…

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Amanda

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 14, 2009
Did you try to delete the preferences file. The FAQ explains how.
AC
Annie_Chow
Jan 14, 2009
I’m expericing the same problem as you, and I’m clueless of what to do. I’m very new to using photoshop.
K
KatWoman
Jan 14, 2009
did you check the drop down selection for in front and behind? sometimes is set to show wrong layer and the one you need to see is hidden
AL
A_Lee_B
Jan 14, 2009
Thanks! I did reset all the tools and preferences once, but not deleting the entire file.

Okay, so I tried deleting the preference file and everything was reset. I opened the image in question and went straight to Liquify. It still won’t change the preview image, but if I turn off the image and look at the mesh I can see the changes to the mesh itself as I make them. So I can do a sort of work-around that way, but I wonder why the image itself still won’t warp.

Out of curiosity I opened a smaller JPG instead of the multi-layer PSD file I was working on and tried to Liquify that again. The same thing there – I could reduce the opacity of the backdrop and see the warped mesh behind it, but the image itself didn’t change till I hit OK.

Thanks,
Amanda
K
KatWoman
Jan 15, 2009
wrote in message
Thanks! I did reset all the tools and preferences once, but not deleting the entire file.

Okay, so I tried deleting the preference file and everything was reset. I opened the image in question and went straight to Liquify. It still won’t change the preview image, but if I turn off the image and look at the mesh I can see the changes to the mesh itself as I make them. So I can do a sort of work-around that way, but I wonder why the image itself still won’t warp.

Out of curiosity I opened a smaller JPG instead of the multi-layer PSD file I was working on and tried to Liquify that again. The same thing there – I could reduce the opacity of the backdrop and see the warped mesh behind it, but the image itself didn’t change till I hit OK.
Thanks,
Amanda

but did you use the drop down and select behind or in front? not the image/mesh selector
SH
Sang_Han
Jan 23, 2009
Have you tried setting the "show backdrop" mode to behind and not blend or in front?

Best regards
KS
Kathy_Steres
Mar 11, 2009
I’ve had the same problem with CS2 for some time and couldn’t figure it out. But thanks to reading this thread, it made me try something I guess I hadn’t done before.

In the Show Backdrop area at bottom of the Liquify window, I had that checked, I had All Layers and Behind checked. BUT….I (apparently) had inadvertently slid the Opacity slide too low. I put it back to 100% and voila! Everything works just fine.

Hope this solves YOUR problem.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections