MJ
Posted By
mel johns
Sep 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know that in today’s day and age nobody creates a 16 color graphic. However, I have a situation that requires me to create a 16 color PCX graphic output. I have tries several ways but the client says that they all come up 256 when testing on his system. Does someone have a neat trick on how I can create the type of graphic I need. (I have also tries to create my graphic only using the 16 colors).

Also, does anyone out there have a copy of ZSoft PC Paintbrush. I used to have a copy but do not know where I have stored it. If you know where I can find a copy that would be great too.

Stuck in 16 color limbo,

Mel

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Sep 17, 2003
Jump to or open your image in image ready, select giff, drag the colors slider down to 16, then save as a giff. IF you then open this in photoshop you get a indexed graphic with only 16 colors. Thats one way of doing it, not sure if it will help in your circumstances.
MJ
mel johns
Sep 17, 2003
Thanks for the advice, I have tried you suggestion and I have sent it off to the client for testing – got my fingers crossed.

Mel
RH
r_harvey
Sep 17, 2003
Isn’t the default color palette in a PCX the same as in a 16-color BMP? You might otherwise get 16 colors, but will they be the right 16? I suppose you could create a 16-color BMP in Windows Paint, read into Photoshop, and save as PCX.
MJ
mel johns
Sep 19, 2003
It worked!!!! Thanks a whole bunch. I now feel totally embarassed that I did think of this forum before now because I have been working on this problem for 4 months off and on. Here’s my new process, create the graphics using only the 16 colors, do the image ready thing, open the file in a DOS program called Neopaint and save the file as a PCX.

Customer is really please I stuck it out and now I can sell him one of our packages and re-coup my development time — sooo I will probably make about $0.25 / hr after all is said and done.

Again, thanks for the great hint and thanks to Adobe for supporting these forums.

Cheers,

Mel
P
Phosphor
Sep 19, 2003
Your welcome Mel, dont leave it so long next time 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections