HS
Posted By
Hooman_Salari
Jan 11, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a freelance designer and been working with PS since its version 5. Most of my client don’t have color management requirements so I never had to deal with this issue. Since CS4 install a few weeks ago, I’ve been having problems getting a new CMYK document to show white background. I have set my color settings to NORTH AMERICA PREPRESS 2 which seems to be the most common setting. Any CMYK document fails to show white color. It shows a yellowish color and I am unable to even overlay it with white. Sorry if I sound amateur but I never had to set anything is previous CS’s. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CF
chris_farrell
Jan 11, 2009
Is your monitor hardware calibrated with something like an EyeONE Display2 calibrator.

How does RGB white look?
HS
Hooman_Salari
Jan 11, 2009
Thank you for the response. RGB white looks fine, only when I choose MONITOR COLOR instead of NORTH AMERICA PREPRESS 2. Otherwise, it looks yellow also. And my monitor has not been calibrated (it’s a SAMSUNG SyncMaster 245B Plus purchased two months ago brand new). CMYK and RGB both look OK in Illustrator when I open a new document.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 11, 2009
Ah! never use Monitor Colour as a profile. Alway use aRGB colour space for print / sRGB for web…etc…not sure what’s best for CYMK as I and my printers don’t use it.

Your best bet is to get your hands on a calibration kit. They can be had for as cheap as £70 and get that monitor profiled properly. If it’s professional work it can be a tax deductable expense…..or maybe you can borrow one.

…just curious…what is the CYMK and RGB value of the yellow/white in CS4?
JC
Jimmy_Chancey
Jan 11, 2009
If you look at the setting for MONITOR COLOR, it actually turns off color management. In Prepress 2, have you expanded out the MORE OPTIONS button and taken a look at your conversion options? Also, you indicate you have Illustrator, you may want to note the settings there to make sure you’re setting Photoshop up the same.

BTW, if you have Illustrator I understand there is a setting in Bridge to sync color management for the Creative Suite applications. I only have PS CS4 so I can’t verify this. A quick check of PS Help might help, just type in Color Management, then take a look at color intent,color settings, or keeping colors consistent.
HS
Hooman_Salari
Jan 12, 2009
Chris,
I am at the mercy of Monitor Color just to be able to see the white background. Any other setting with give me the yellow background. Interestingly, the value is #ffffff which I know is white as white can be. I will get the calib kit but I dont understand why in Illustrator CS4 I get a white CMYK document without a problem, but not in PS CS4. What a pain!!!
HS
Hooman_Salari
Jan 12, 2009
Jimmy,

I have used the synch tool and all CS4 apps are using the same color settings but I am still getting the wrong white value (visually) in photoshop. I have taken screenshots of my settings in both PS and Illustrator. <http://concept27.com/colorsettings.pdf>

Appreciate any suggestions or directions.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 12, 2009
That is odd. I don’t know much about Illustrator so I can’t really comment on that – it would appear they are set up the same.

Have you enabled colour matching in the gpu settings – does that help?

Try resetting Photoshops preference:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

It does look like a bad profile, though. Can you download a generic profile from the monitor’s manufacturer’s website?…see if that helps

BTW, I can recommend a Eye-One Display 2 – a little bit more but it give good results.
HS
Hooman_Salari
Jan 12, 2009
Chris Farrell, You are a Godsend. The link you sent me suggested holding CTRL + ALT + SHIFT (PC) when starting up PS to delete the profile. Just as I did that I got a error message: — THE MONITOR PROFILE "SAMSUNG – NATURAL COLOR PRO 1.0 ICM" APPEARS TO BE DEFECTIVE. PLEASE RERUN YOUR MONITOR CALIBRATION SOFTWARE.– And it gave me an option to ignore profile or use anyway. I must have selected use anyway last time it came up. This time I selected ignore profile and voila! White as Santa’s beard. Thank you again for the helpful link. Happy PS’ing.
LK
Luke_Kaven
Jan 21, 2009
I had exactly the same experience with the Samsung "natural color" profile. Turned all of my whites a creamy yellow. Could not locate a repaired profile, so bit the bullet and bought a Spyder.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections