Need to clone one pixel at a time.

Posted By
2fewlions
Dec 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use the clone stamp for very fine detail (using CS3). Why, when I sample one pixel, it clones four? I have six books on CS3 and can’t find the answer. I am using a basic hard 1 pixel brush with 100% opacity, flow, and hardness.

In other words, when I sample one red pixel, I get four pixels in various shades of red. This frustrates me so much, that I use my son’s Paint Shop Pro program when I need to do a lot of clone work.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TH
Trez_Hane
Dec 29, 2008
Use the pencil tool when single pixel hardness is needed.
2fewlions
Dec 29, 2008
How do I clone with the pencil tool?
PZ
Ping Zheng
Dec 29, 2008
Yes, brush results not pure color, because brush draws circle, use pencil can solve this problem
TH
Trez_Hane
Dec 29, 2008
If you are dealing in single pixels, you are copying the color rather than cloning; else you would not be concerned with single pixels. With one finger on the Alt key, you can easily swap between sampling and filling the pixel of choice. Or we are not understanding your question.
2fewlions
Dec 30, 2008
Using the clone tool, I sample one pixel (with the Alt key), and move to another area to fill. The "fill" area becomes four pixels. I did not have this problem with CS2.

Yes, I want to clone (copy) one colored pixel to another area. Am I missing a setting? Should I reinstall CS3? Does CS4 have this problem? Returning to CS2 is not an option.

Until I can resolve this problem, I will continue to use Paint Shop Pro for detailed clone work. It just seems ridiculous that a $59 program can do what CS3 can’t.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 30, 2008
clone one pixel? why not just paint it?
HB
harold_berm
Dec 30, 2008
I only have CS4 here, but using a square 1 pixel brush and having an image zoomed into 1600% (bringing up the pixel grid) with the eyedropper tool set to point sample – I can get one pixel successfully cloned.

I do find that the square brush has to be lined up exactly with the square on the grid. Being outside the parameters results in more than one being applied. In other words, clicking on the intersecting line between 4 boxes results in four pixels, between two, two.
2fewlions
Dec 31, 2008
Thank you Harold. The square brush clones a single pixel. I assumed that a square brush would behave like a round one, so I hadn’t tried it.

Thank you. Thank you.
HB
harold_berm
Dec 31, 2008
You’re very welcome. I was curious after reading your post so I thought I’d try it.

I do find that I have to be accurate with the placement on the grid or I’ll get more than one.
K
KatWoman
Dec 31, 2008
wrote in message
You’re very welcome. I was curious after reading your post so I thought I’d try it.

I do find that I have to be accurate with the placement on the grid or I’ll get more than one.

you can set guides to the grids then use>> SNAP to guides

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections