Posted By
jvdwolf
Dec 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I’m having this problem for a couple of weeks now and can’t seem to figure out whats wrong. I’ve read dozens of websites & forums but can’t figure out what’s wrong. Maybe someone can help me out here.

I have a wide gamut monitor (Eizo S2231W) which i have calibrated with a DataColor Spyder3Pro. Since then the colors in Color-aware programs such as Photoshop, Safari and FastFiewer look way off. For example, the sky turns from blue to purple. I tried to re-calibrate a couple of times, deleting all ICC-profiles, re-install the software. Nothing helps me to get rid of this color shift. Well, getting rid of the Spyders ICC-profile solves it, but this device is supposed to improve my colors, not ruin it.

Awaiting your reply,

John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TH
Trez_Hane
Dec 28, 2008
John,

Since this is happening in all your color-managed programs rather than only in Photoshop, I believe it would be a good idea to contact DataColor’s tech support. It seems at least possible that you may have a defective sensor.

You don’t mention your version of Photoshop, but if it is an older one I assume you have disabled Adobe Gamma. Also that you have disabled any other color-profiling software from your video card manufacturer or your monitor manufacturer. Double-profiling can produce some strange-looking results.

Trez
J
jvdwolf
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for your reply Trez. I use Photoshop CS2. All the other color-profiling software is deleted already. I dont know if my video card does color-profiling, i cant find info on that anywhere.

I did find out that the ICC-profile on the Eizo-CD cause the same colorcast. So the Spyder is not at fault here. I’m afraid it has something to do with the Wide Gamut monitor and sRGB. Which cause the problem.
UH
Udo Huebner
Dec 29, 2008
schrieb:
Thanks for your reply Trez. I use Photoshop CS2. All the other color-profiling software is deleted already. I dont know if my video card does color-profiling, i cant find info on that anywhere.
I did find out that the ICC-profile on the Eizo-CD cause the same colorcast. So the Spyder is not at fault here. I’m afraid it has something to do with the Wide Gamut monitor and sRGB. Which cause the problem.

Hi jvdwolf –
the hint of Trez is still of value. You did not tell what system and graphics card you are using. Did you look – as usual – on the desktop (right mouse click, … to color management) what color profile is standard?
Another possibility is to look for profiling software which is started in the autostart with the tool "msconfig".
Anyway, your situation seems typical for software which is modifying the profiles established by Spyder or something else. NVidia video cards start software which itself can modify colors.
So, please give some more informations.
Regards Udo
CC
Christopher_Carvalho
Dec 31, 2008
There could be many reasons behind your problem. Figuring it out will take some sleuthing. You should work with the Spyder tech support people if you are not well versed in monitor calibration. The calibration software may not be talking to the monitor properly. Did you attach the USB cable to the monitor? This monitor uses DDC (a USB communications standard) to let the computer and calibration software make changes to the monitor settings. Sometimes the DDC cable must be connected directly to the computer instead of through an external USB hub.

Make sure the monitor’s device driver is correctly installed and the computer recognizes the monitor in the system device manager for your operating system.

You may have an incorrect setting in the calibration software. The Spyder people can help you set it up to use some basic settings first and verify it is working right.

You should calibrate in a darkened room. External light shining on the screen can bias the calibration result.

Let your monitor warm up for the required time. For LCD displays this is usually not a concern, but waiting at least ten minutes after powering up is a good idea.

If the monitor shows an onscreen display (OSD) when you are making adjustments to the white point, contrast, or brightness, ensure the display’s popup box is not near the calibration sensor. The color change from this box will change the measurement. Position the sensor away from the OSD box, or turn off the box after making an adjustment and wait for the measurement to settle before believing the measurement result. This could take several seconds before the sensor gives an accurate reading.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 1, 2009
Have the images been manipulated before calibration? i.e older images adjusted with a bad profile/monitor colour setup.

What are the RGB values for the sky?…Maybe the new colour calibration has just highlighted/picked up the correct colour value in the image.

Remember, calibration is not always 100% accurate but it’ll get you relatively consistent results…slight tweaking is sometimes required. My Eizo needs the Red saturation increased by 10% to achieve that good 255,0,0 red (otherwise it’s a muddy red/brown)….

Are you using the Eizo Colornavigator software….I believe the latest version has Spyder3 support now.
J
jvdwolf
Jan 4, 2009
Hi Chris & Christopher,

Thank for your replies. Unfortunately I still haven’t found the sollution. It just seems that Wide Gamut monitors just can’t display sRGB well when calibrated.
My monitor and Spyder are connected to the USB-slots on the back of my PC. So there can’t be any problem there. If i setup sRGB in the windows Color Management tab, all the colours look alright and the same. But if i setup the monitors profile delivered with the monitor or the hardware calibrated profile i get the color shift in sRGB pictures color managed programmes.
What i found out so far after:

Re-installing Nvidia drivers and Photoshop
Deleting all ICC-profiles from my PC
Calibrate in a dark room

– Eizo ICC-profile or Spyder calibrated profile selected: AdobeRGB looks good and almost the same in color managed and not color managed programs. But sRGB will look oversaturated in Non-color managed programs and undersaturated with purple colorcast/sky in color managed programs.

– The standard sRGB profile selected:
sRGB looks the same in all programs (Colormanaged or not).

Ofcourse not calibrating my monitor can’t be the sollution for my problem. I wanted to install another calibration software from Eizo but the Eizo Colornavigator software doesn’t support my monitor (S2231W).

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections