B
Posted By
BlackFlux
Dec 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I got a 6D Art Pen for Christmas and I am trying to use it with my Cintiq. I created a few marker brushes, but the barrel rotation and tilt doesn’t seem to be working right.

I set the control to Pen Tilt under Shape Dynamics, but it doesn’t seem to be working, what am I missing?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JT
Jason_T_Olney
Dec 28, 2008
I also got a 6D art pen for Christmas and was very excited to use it. I am using an Intuos 3 on a Vista machine. I was disappointed that I could not get the rotation feature to work in Photoshop CS4. The feature works as expected in Corel Painter X, Illustrator (CS3 and CS4) and, surprisingly, Photoshop CS3! I have tried installing the latest driver for the tablet, but I haven’t tried reinstalling Photoshop yet. I hope someone has a solution. I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone.
B
BlackFlux
Dec 28, 2008
Hey Jason, glad to know I’m not alone. Just curious though, how are you testing the 6D art pen in Photoshop? I ask because I am using CS3 and it doesn’t seem to be working correctly. In Painter the brush ghosting shows the pens rotation as well as angle, isn’t it supposed to work the same way in Photoshop?
JT
Jason_T_Olney
Jan 3, 2009
The brush outline does not change with rotation for me in Photoshop CS3, but I get the correct response nonetheless. After experimenting more with Illustrator CS4, I am finding that although the brush does rotate, it is unpredictable. In other words, the rotation does not match how I’m moving the brush.

Just an aside, I noticed in your original message that you were setting "tilt" in pen control. This should be set to "Rotation". I’m not sure if tilt and rotation can be used at the same time for the same setting.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 4, 2009
I’m considering one of these…..Is it not a case of setting the correct settings in the brush panel…

Like checking pressure sensitivity boxes for certain options with the basic Wacom pen, for example.
JT
Jason_T_Olney
Jan 4, 2009
Chris,

Yes, you should be able to set Angle Control to Rotation, and although the preview changes, the brush doesn’t rotate with the pen.

I don’t know if this is an issue for every user with a 6D pen. The rotation works for me in CS3 and other programs, so it is worth it to me to have the pen.
B
BlackFlux
Jan 6, 2009
This pen is a waste of money, if I hadn’t gotten it as a gift, I would be sending it back. How you got going to have brush ghosting, get it together Adobe!?!?
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 7, 2009
Is it?

have you tried the setting within the wacom driver interface and fiddling with the rotation/tilt setting in the PS brush panel.

From what I’ve read, alot of negative comments are from users who have not set it up properly….apologies if that not the case here.
F
frnknstein
Jan 8, 2009
PS does recognice the rotation feature of the 6D pen but, unlike e.g. Corel’s Painter its not working properly. One would expect a broad stroke using the full with of te pen and a smaller stroke using the tip bij means of rotating (just like a real marker) funny thing is this works the other way round in PS. I guess that’s what Jason is referring to. The effect can be achieved by setting the ‘size jitter’ to ‘rotation’ but there is no way to turn the brush in the right direction, go and try.

Unless I’m missing something this makes the pen quite useless in PS indeed though still great in Painter. I really hoped this would be fixed in CS4, alas.
P
PECourtejoie
Jan 8, 2009
"One would expect a broad stroke using the full with of te pen and a smaller stroke using the tip bij means of rotating (just like a real marker) funny thing is this works the other way round in PS. I guess that’s what Jason is referring to. "

If this is the case, we DO need invert switches, either in the brushes palettes, or in the wacom driver, as the airbrush flow goes "backwards", too.
DE
Dave_Evanson
Jan 8, 2009
If this is the case, we DO need invert switches, either in the brushes palettes, or in the wacom driver, as the airbrush flow goes "backwards", too.

Sadly that’s been the case since Photoshop first started supporting tilt. It has been raised as a bug and in the new features requests by myself and others. I was disappointed to see it is still not fixed in CS4.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 8, 2009
….Slightly OT (sorry)…For those who want to get the most out of the pen whose systems have RAM greater than 8GB, Painter X won’t work as it crashes upon loading…period!!!! Next version? maybe.

It cannot address memory above 8GB and throws a massive wobbly.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 9, 2009
I just tried the pen in a trial version of illustrator and the rotation in the blob tool is really good….I mean it’s sweeet.

There must be a way to get he rotation working properly in Photoshop cs4

If anyone has figured it out can they post their brush settings….that’ll be really cool and will help alot of people….on the whole I like the pen. It’s a little bit too light but it feels good when drawings..

If you can help with this…many thanks.

In the mean time I’m going to dig deeper…and I’ll post back if I find settings that work.

Chris
B
BlackFlux
Jan 10, 2009
The 6D art pen works perfectly for me in Painter and I only have 2 GB of RAM.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 10, 2009
D’oh! no good for PS cs4, 16gb’ers….you lucky beeeeeeeeb 🙂
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 12, 2009
Right, the rotation function in CS4 is definitely not working….

Time to send in those bug reports.
DB
doug_bernards
Feb 20, 2009
Solution!!!
Photoshop cs4 works great with a 6d art pen!!
i’m using a cintiq 20wsx with cs4 and a 6d art pen. you have to goto the brush menu and click other dynamics, then rotaion, select pen rotation from the sub-menu. Start with a caligraphy brush (brush presets). then click on brush tip shape in the brush menu. you’ll be able to change the angle of the brush to match your pen. you can change the width too. the when you use the fat edge the line will be thick and when you stroke with the thin edge it will be thin. roll the pen when you draw a line and you’ll see the line rotate from thick to thin as you draw.
I love my 6d art pen it adds a whole new dynamic to drawing digitally. you can also use rotation to control other things such as color, scatter, flow ect. Mess with it really cool, you can do so much with it.
SP
sun_park
Feb 22, 2009
Dear CS3 and CS4 photoshop users,
I hope I can straighten out the whole confusion with the 6D art pen ROTATION feature not working. (not a solution but clarify)
Although we appreciate all forms of opinions, I have a message for people saying that rotation feature will work when you set the brush settings correctly. WE_ARE_NOT_NEW at this. Many of us have been using the rotation feature with CS3 perfectly fine, and yes, we know how to set it up. Thank you for your tips but IT IS NOT working as it should. I don’t know whether it is defendant with: x64 or x32 syst on our part, driver problem with wacom, or in fact with the CS4. I will tell you what I did and what I got however.
X64 Vista Ult. 6G RAM, Quad core, both Intuos 3 and Cintiq 20wsx.(Cintiq is my primary and the only one I use now a days and I don’t have both plugged at the same time. However, I have tried with Intuos3 separately, and it won’t work) I uninstalled old wacom driver and updated to the latest (5days old), remade brush settings fresh with rotation setting (not just using my own saved preset from CS3) and it still WON"T WORK… so there it is. Hope this clarifies the issue so that the TECH can help us (please) and not think that we are all confused.
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 23, 2009
this will be addressed in the update
SP
sun_park
Feb 24, 2009
Hi Chris, Sun here. Have you spoken with the techs at Adobe? I certainly tried and two of them said they are unaware of it. I asked to check out the forums since it’s mentioned, but I didn’t get the sense that they were too much worried about it(four or five days ago). Did they say that they are working on it? or will investigate? Have they told you any approximate date? Thanks.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 24, 2009
The lack of pen rotation is a known bug in CS4, that is being fixed in an update.
JT
Jason_T_Olney
Feb 24, 2009
I went back and forth for a while with Adobe Tech support on this issue. They are definitely aware of the problem and it seems as though there will be an upgrade coming to resolve it. They didn’t give me any indication when it would be coming out.
MP
MikeShaw_PSQE
Feb 25, 2009
SP
sun_park
Feb 26, 2009
Dear Engineer, THANK YOU! It works flawlessly. Thank you for fast reply as well.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections