RB
Posted By
Ricky_Borba
Dec 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Toshiba laptop. When I use the type tool in photoshop, and press either the enter key on the alpha pad or the enter key on the number pad, it does not do a line break. It behaves as if I meant to finish using the type tool. I have flashed my bios and even completely reinstalled Vista (because it was having some other errors as well with Windows) and I still get the problem. Any suggestions?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 17, 2008
Ricky,

I think you should first make a bounding box in order to let the Enter key to perform as a Line Break, or a paragraph seperator.

This may not make sense, but if there is no bounding box, then where is ‘Enter’ (or ‘Return’ for that matter) supposed to place the type cursor?

Rob
RB
Ricky_Borba
Dec 17, 2008
Oooops. I should have been more clear. This behavior happens both in and out of a bounding box.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 17, 2008
Ok,

Is there a difference with NumLock on or off? With both Enter keys I mean?

Rob
RB
Ricky_Borba
Dec 17, 2008
Numlock on or off doesn’t make a difference. (thanks for the suggestion) Neither does ctrl + enter or shift + enter. They all exhibit the same behavior.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 17, 2008
Then we’re doomed. Unless someone else chimes in.

Rob
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2008
Just a thought:

Check the flyout menu in the CHARACTER panel and make sure "No Break" is not checked.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2008
sometimes the function key "Fn" is required to get a return vs. an enter on a laptop…
RB
Ricky_Borba
Dec 17, 2008
Dave Milbut you’re a genius!! Thank you to everyone else that chimed in as well! Any idea on how to remove that FN requirement?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 17, 2008
It’s part of the laptop experience.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2008
yup. but look at it this way, see all the little blue markings on your keys? you now have access to all of them through the magic of your Fn key! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections