"You need to install a printer" error messages?

BL
Posted By
Bob_Lund
Dec 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Vista 64bit / CS4 / LR2 / Epson 2200 & HP 970Cse Printers

Every other week or so, I get the error message "Before you can perform printer-related . . . . you need to install a printer". In this case, I made a good number of prints yesterday without a problem, now this morning, the error message?

Un-installing and reinstalling my printers on a regular basis is a real efficiency killer, but seems to work. By the way, while I am having this problem with CS4, I can print with LR2 and all other programs.

Help with a cause, and coming up a solution will be greatly appreciated – Happy Holidays, Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob_Lund
Dec 14, 2008
UPDATE: I discovered that if I make a printer other than the Epson 2200, CS4 will see the Epson 2200. Doesn’t make sense to me, but it works :-)- IM
RP
Rich_Pomerantz
Jan 29, 2009
I am having the same error message – I am using XP Pro with two printers, an epson 2200 and a Brother laser. I am in CS4. The epson printed fine from photoshop this morning, then when I tried to print a tiff file just now I received the error message. I closed photoshop, checked the cable, reopened the document, and it printed HALF WAY, then stopped & now when I try to print any file in PS I get this error message. It cannot be a driver, hardware issue or the printers, as 1) I got it to start printing a few minutes ago, then it suddenly stopped seeing the printer, and 2) I can print from any other program to either printer.

Help?
DB
David_Baime
Mar 14, 2009
After spending several months preparing a few documents, I received this error message for the first time on the morning of the ‘Big Presentation’. There was no time to troubleshoot the problem; I simply had to give the presentation without the documents. The clients who had flown in to see them were not very sympathetic.

I was using Photoshop CS4 in XP64 with a variety of network printers and even a local printer. In the little time I had, I noticed that PSCS4 was the ONLY program that had a problem printing. I tried deleting all the printers and reinstalling them. I changed the default printer. I deleted the preference files, using the automatic way and the manual way. I tried printing one of the documents from two other computers that had PSCS4. One had Vista 64 and one had Beta 7. Every OS and every computer gave the same error message, even though they had worked fine on the previous day.

Later, I had more time to troubleshoot. Plenty of time, in fact. I reinstalled PSCS4. Still my documents would not print. However, I noticed that if I created a NEW document, I did NOT get the error. So the problem seemed to be document specific. Eventually, I tried printing the documents from PSCS3. They printed! So I saved the documents while still in CS3. Now when I opened them in CS4, they could once again be printed successfully!

I experimented more with one of the documents that would not print. I tried making changes and even deleted every layer. Still, it would not print. Nothing I did in CS4 would fix the file. I archived the file for posterity so that if someone wants to see the problem first hand, I can send them the file.
JP
john_passaneau
Mar 14, 2009
I’ve had the same problem several times, and the open and save in CS3 trick is the only thing I’ve found that would fix the problem. It has been some months since it has happened and I’m hoping that one of the upgrades fixed the problem

John Passaneau

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections