Posted By
Jan_Hofer
Dec 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

I evaluate Streaming Profiler for a 5000+ User environment. One of my challenges is to stream Photoshop. There will be several hundred of Photoshop users.
I’m an extremal Consultant and therefore I don’t have a serial number yet, but have to present next friday, 7am GMT. I loaded a copy of Photoshop today, installed a Demo, but ran into the following problem:

Installation went terrible well, apart from the fact that I could not leave the updater unselected (a must have in a streaming environment).

When I started the program it instantly quits telling me: Error: 148:3

Licensing for this product has stopped working.
This product has has encountered a problem which requires you to restart your computer before it can be launched.

However, reboot is a lye, there is no point in rebooting, the program won’t start.

There is no way to enter a serial number, just this sticky finger message. The promise of 30 days trial? Not in this environment?
What to do next?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 8, 2008
Not in this environment?

that’s probably your answer. the trial software is notoriously picky about disabling itself when there’s something funky going on (like trying to demo in a citrix env.). as a demo, you’d be better off on one machine. if you have to show it on an citrix setup, you’ll probably have to spring for a license.

i’m not 100% sure on this, but i’m at least 80% sure. 😉

i’d call tech support if i were you. they’d know better than us users in the forum.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 8, 2008
Stream Photoshop, as working with Photoshop on a thin client?

If you intend to do so, hire a bodyguard. No, many bodyguards, and clones of yourself.

While this can work halfway correctly for little programs like office suites, Adobe Photoshop is one of the software that taxes systems to an extreme, and is not suited on such an environment.
JH
Jan_Hofer
Dec 8, 2008
Sorry. Misunderstanding. Streaming does not necessarily mean thin clients. Workstations will use 2 i7 Family processors, 16 GB RAM. If you call this a thin client I’m curious about your workstation. And believe me, Photoshop is definitely not the hugest program that will get streamed there: They have highly professional software like 3d CAD with photo realistic Rendering too.

Streaming is an other way to install software, or better: not to install but to provide o demand. There is currently no software installed on my computer, but I’m able to use all kinds of software there. All kinds? No. Not Photoshop.

Regards

Jan Hofer
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 8, 2008
Then you might want to be looking at the volume licensing version, that might not have all the activation issues (anyways, for 5000 machines, it might be your only sane option.) I suggest contactingthe big accounts division of Adobe directly.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 8, 2008
I suggest contactingthe big accounts division of Adobe directly.

yes, but as i said above, if you need it NOW for a demo that’s coming up, you’ll need to 1) contact tech support, 2) run the demo on a workstation directly rather than through citrix, 3) get a single license of ps and try to run that through citrix (eliminating the demo software that’s locking the program). 4) any/all of the above.
JH
Jan_Hofer
Dec 9, 2008
Dave, 2. is no Help to me.

I see you got a deep misunderstanding about what Citrix Application Streaming is. As I told you before: it is a substitution for application Installation. They run on user’s work stations. At the same time it helps you managing licenses of your enterprise. However, if you have no large scale enterprise there is no point in Application streaming. I think, you mix it up with XenApp (former Citrix Metaframe Presentation Server). XenApp runs applications on servers rather than workstations.

I contacted Support.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 9, 2008
I see you got a deep misunderstanding about what Citrix Application Streaming is

no. i use it daily. i install my apps on it for use by hundreds of users. you misunderstood me. or i didn’t make myself clear. (wouldn’t be the 1st time :))

I meant if you simply need to demo the app for the suits asap, you need to eliminate citrix (run it locally). if you need to demo citrix running the app, you’ll probably need to buy at least one license, and even that’s no guarantee. i’ve seen previous versions of photoshop running on citrix, but they tweak the licensing every release so who knows. this is the fist citrix question i’ve seen for cs4. congratulations. you’re the winner! 😉

I contacted Support.

yup. that’s for the best. i don’t think you’re going to get the demo working over citrix, but they would know for sure.

good luck.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections