Posted By
Bob_Rutan
Nov 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Color Management

Well, I have been working on this for a while and cannot get what I want as printer output. I have a Pantone Eye-One Match3 terminal calibrator and I am set to luminosity of 120, Gamma of 32 and WP of 6500. My monitor is a Dell 2408WFP,24 inch. My printer is a HP Photosmart 8750. When I bring up a photo in Photoshop is looks great. I take my shots in raw, but my workspace is set up for RGB. If I open the same photo up in Nikon Capture 4, it looks the same as Photoshop. The problem is Windows and printing. If I look at the picture in Windows picture and fax viewer, it is too saturated. I get the same result when printing on the HP printer, even though I manage the print with Photoshop and use an HP printer profile for the paper that I am using.
Any thoughts as to why the mismatch between Windows/printer and Photoshop/Nikon Capture? Thanks
Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jim
Nov 29, 2008
wrote in message
Color Management

Well, I have been working on this for a while and cannot get what I want as printer output. I have a Pantone Eye-One Match3 terminal calibrator and I am set to luminosity of 120, Gamma of 32 and WP of 6500. My monitor is a Dell 2408WFP,24 inch. My printer is a HP Photosmart 8750. When I bring up a photo in Photoshop is looks great. I take my shots in raw, but my workspace is set up for RGB. If I open the same photo up in Nikon Capture 4, it looks the same as Photoshop. The problem is Windows and printing. If I look at the picture in Windows picture and fax viewer, it is too saturated. I get the same result when printing on the HP printer, even though I manage the print with Photoshop and use an HP printer profile for the paper that I am using.
Any thoughts as to why the mismatch between Windows/printer and Photoshop/Nikon Capture?
Thanks
Bob
Since Windows picture and fax viewer is not color managed, it isn’t surprising that its output does not match PS and Nikon Capture. As for why what you see in PS or Nikon Capture does not match your printer output, it may be that you are applying the profile twice. This is usually the result of letting both PS and the printer manage the colors.
It could also be that the paper profile is not correct. I think this is unlikely if you are using the profiles furnished by HP.

Also, which RGB profile have you set for your default workspace? The most popular choices are Adobe RGB and sRGB. The gamuts of these two profiles are far from identical.

Jim
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 1, 2008
What color space are your images in? Adobe RGB, sRGB, Pro Photo RGB, or something else"
BR
Bob_Rutan
Dec 1, 2008
I take most all of my pictures in raw format, and Photoshop is set up for Adboe RGB (1998) workspace.
Thanks, this is really frustrating to me and I would not think that it would be this difficult to get a good picture.
Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 1, 2008
Photoshop is set up for Adboe RGB (1998) workspace.

Any particular reason?

The best for viewing in non colour-managed applications is sRGB. For printing that should also be OK if you use the correct printer profile in the print dialog.
BR
Bob_Rutan
Dec 1, 2008
Since I shoot in Raw, I thought that using an RGB workspace would give me the widest gamut of color to work with in editing. I still use 8-bit, but have considered using 16-bit as well. Do you really think that using sRGB will make my Photoshop or Nikon Capture photos more accurate on the print? If so, why?
Thanks
Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 1, 2008
I tried it on an Epson and it was fine.

If your problems persist, recalibrate your monitor – it may have drifted.

Since nearly all ink jets and their drivers are 8-bit, 16 bit is no help.
BR
Bob_Rutan
Dec 1, 2008
I have recalibrated my monitor and all is in line. In fact, my delta is only .47 which is great. I am beginning to think that the printer profiles are bad, but then that would not account for the fact that Windows fax viewer shows the files more saturated. I looked into the windows display configuration and it is using the calibrated monitor profile as it should be doing. Are there any other places in Windows that could be adjusted and cause this?
Thanks
Bob
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 3, 2008
The best for viewing in non colour-managed applications is sRGB.

That advice is fast becoming outdated. Especially since many attractively priced monitors have a wider gamut than the traditional sRGB gamut monitor. As coincidence would have it the OP has a wide-gamut Dell 2408WFP (which approximates the gamut of AdobeRGB).

Tag all images with an ICC profile, use only fully colour managed apps, and hope that everyone else does as well.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 3, 2008
Where did you get the printer profiles? Many HPs don’t come with them. Also, did you turn color management off in the printer driver?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections