B
Posted By
BlackFlux
Nov 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m copying some vector art (monochromatic flats) from Illustrator and pasting into Photoshop as Smart Object. I am making selections from the flats to create individual paths to color however the edges aren’t lining up. I end up with gaps between the edges and the lines are jagged.

Can someone please explain anti-aliasing? I am following a few video tutorials, one is saying turn it on and the other says to turn it off.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BlackFlux
Dec 8, 2008
Anyone?
P
PeterK.
Dec 8, 2008
Need more info. How are you making selections, and how are you creating "individual paths?" Do you mean paths as in with the pen tool? Which "lines" are jagged? Why are you doing this and what are you trying to accomplish?

Anti-aliasing means there are interpolated pixels between colour edges, smoothing their appearance. An aliased edge is where two colours butt against each other with no intermediate pixels transitioning between them.
(zoom in on this image to see it better)
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1iDwRFw14G4sV9edyt Z2iEu1NWz8O0>
B
BlackFlux
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks Peter, right now I am trying speed up my process. I’ve tried to work solely in Photoshop and solely in Illustrator. I’m thinking it would be faster to start off in Illustrator and then mover to Photoshop (magic wand) and do all the coloring there. That’s why I am trying to get a handle on anti-aliasing.

So are you saying that I need to turn on Anti-aliasing?
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 9, 2008
I’m thinking it would be faster to start off in Illustrator and then mover to Photoshop (magic wand) and do all the coloring there.

I wouldn’t do that unless you absolutely need to. Illy has swatched-based coloring, which makes changing all red objects to pink a one-click procedure. Learn Illustrator. The time sepnt will be valuable, and helpful in your Photoshop endeavors as well.
P
PeterK.
Dec 9, 2008
I believe he’s trying to do digital colouring/painting in photoshop of artwork. If that’s the case, Photoshop is a good tool for that (unless you want to do flat colours and maybe simple shapes for shadows and hilights, then it may be better to try your hand at vector art).
For your starting flat colours (which you would use to make your wand selections) you want anti-aliasing OFF. When you’re making wand selections, make sure anti-aliasing is off on your wand tool as well. In this way, your selections will always be based on the hard edges of your colour shapes and you will never have gaps in between the colour areas.
I’m still not sure what you meant when you mentioned paths, or why you’re pasting smart objects. Note, if you rotate the smart object in photoshop, you have to make sure you have "nearest neighbour" set in your preferences for image interpolation to prevent anti-aliasing of the edges.
B
BlackFlux
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks Peter, I think I have a better understand of anti-aliasing now. Oh and I didn’t know I could save my Illustrator projects as a .psd file, that’s why I was pasting smart objects into Photoshop.

Done in Illustrator:
<http://img379.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gradient1eb3.jpg> Done in Photoshop:
<http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tempzh7.gif>
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 9, 2008
Nice, BF. Looks very good!
B
BlackFlux
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks, I still think I should do my flats in Illustrator because my adjoining lines in Photoshop aren’t exactly clean. Plus it should speedup my process up.
B
BlackFlux
Dec 9, 2008
Ok I’m home now and I still am not able to get two colours to butt against each other. What am I doing wrong?

<http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antioy0.gif>
P
PeterK.
Dec 10, 2008
If you want someone to tell you what you’re doing wrong, it’s customary to explain in detail what it is you are doing!
B
BlackFlux
Dec 10, 2008
I do all my line work and flat colors in Illustrator. For my line work I use the pen tool and for my flats I use Live Paint to color each section with a different base color. This will allow me to make selections in Photoshop to color each part selectively without touching the rest. I export as a .psd file and move over to Photoshop. In Photoshop I start making selections from my flats using the magic wand tool.

Instead of getting 2 colors butt up against each other I get this:

<http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antioy0.gif>
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Dec 10, 2008
What’s your Stroke color?
B
BlackFlux
Dec 11, 2008
I turn off the stroke once I lay my flats.
P
PeterK.
Dec 11, 2008
So are the gaps there when you first open the psd? When you export to psd from Illustrator, make sure that anti-alias is not checked. The psd you open in Photoshop should have all the colours butting against each other with hard edges. If the psd file is wrong then there’s something wrong with the Illustrator file. Live paint may not be making the colours a perfect butt-fit.
Assuming the psd file looks good, then when you use magic wand, set a tolerance of 0, anti-alias is off, and one other little-known thing that affects the wand’s range selection; the eye-dropper tool should be set to point sample, which samples only one pixel.
B
BlackFlux
Dec 11, 2008
No the gaps aren’t there when I open the psd. I think I might have anti-alias on in Illustrator. I’ll check it out later. Thanks guys.
B
BlackFlux
Jan 21, 2009
I know it’s kind of late, but after I unchecked the anti-alias in illustrator that got rid of the gaps between colors. Thanks Peter.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 21, 2009
If you ever get to the point where you want to commercially print work like this, be sure to read up on trapping. You will get a similar effect (a gap) unless trapping is done correctly, by you, or by the printer.
B
BlackFlux
Jan 21, 2009
Don, I have to admit, I never even heard about trapping. I did a search; you’re talking about color trapping right? Looks like print shops tell you what the trapping value and they you enter that value in Photoshop. What’s not clear is how to tell whether or not you’ll have to do trapping, how would you know, do the print shops tell you?
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 21, 2009
You can ask the print shop. They might be able to give you a useful answer. Trap all depends on the press being used. In CMYK mode, PS will trap your file for you (Image… trap), but you need the to know final output size to calculate the trap in pixels. Trap for small sheet-fed presses might range from 0.08 to 0.12 pts, which at 300 ppi would convert to 0.3 to 0.5 pixels. So a 1-pixel trap would be the best you could do.
B
BlackFlux
Jan 21, 2009
Ok, I follow you. Thanks J.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections