T
Posted By
topcat098
Nov 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop on Vista 32. When I try to do a photomerge either from PS or Bridge, it does its stuff, then closes everything immediately. Reboots / changed options make no difference. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Curvemeister
Nov 18, 2008
See if it’s size related – try merging some small versions of your files first, then work your way up to full size.
B
Buko
Nov 18, 2008
how many images are you trying to merge?

how big are these images?

How much RAM do you have?

how big is your scratch drive?

LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 7:27 am </webx?50>
T
topcat098
Nov 19, 2008
I am using images supplied as part of a training course and specifically for photomerge. There are 5 JPGs all in the 200-300k range.
I have 3G RAM and 30Gb scratch divided between 2 internal drives. I can see all 5 layers assembled in the layers panel, then it says aligning layers and stops – with nothing loaded.
B
Buko
Nov 19, 2008
30Gb scratch divided between 2 internal drive

This could be your problem as you need unintewrupted free space and 30 GB is very little.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 19, 2008
have you tried lowering total RAM allocation percent in the preferences? i’d start at around 40% and see what happens. buko’s right you could be running out of scratch space.

lowering the ram percentage for PS will give more room for some plugins and filters.
T
topcat098
Nov 19, 2008
It was set so PS could use 60% (989Mb). I lowered this to 10%. I also disabled OpenGL. Made no difference. These training images were supposed to be used for CS2 Photomerge!
T
topcat098
Nov 24, 2008
This seems to have magically corrected itself. I’m not sure what I did.
R
robbierobair
Nov 25, 2008
To bad you didn’t have a solution, I’m struggling with the same problem. In taskmanager i can see that after the merge has finished, photoshop keeps using a lot of cpu. And than suddenly quits without a error message.

tried RAm settings, opengl disabling, reinstalling. scratsh drives on diffent drives, (I have 200 Gb free space on either one.)

I run on vista 64 with 4 Gb RAM

Anyone have any idea?

thx
R
robbierobair
Nov 25, 2008
edit: I found out that it only happens when using the 64bit version. under the photoshop 32bit photomerge workt fine
T
topcat098
Nov 26, 2008
Oh dear, spoke to soon. Its back to the way it was before. Something is obviously interfering with it but I have no way of telling what.
Remember I’m 32bit.
SC
Stephen_C
Nov 26, 2008
I am using CS4 and am having problems with photomerge as well. Plenty of RAM, and PLenty of scratch space. The operation looks as if it’s working; but I never see the final result.
HB
harold_berm
Dec 1, 2008
I’m having trouble with the "load files into stack" script. If I have the images open it works. If I browse to the images it appears to be loading the files but only results in one layer.

2.6 core duo, 4 gigs ram, XP Home, 60 gig scratch.
T
topcat098
Dec 9, 2008
Are Adobe likely to do anything about this? I’m a bit sad about not being able to Photomerge.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 9, 2008
Maybe if you log it as a bug report.

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>
G
gmv
Dec 24, 2008
ME TOO.

PhotoMerge appears to have been broken in the move to CS4.

Whilst I am glad that PhotoMerge in CS4 is working for SOME, on my two main, quite different, XPP/3/32bit systems (one with supported 3D card, one without) I have been unable to get CS4 to create ANY anoramas.

In CS4, as shipped in the ‘Master Collection’, attempting to merge only two images that, on the same systems [right now, TODAY!] are merged by CS3 (and ptGUI, and APP) results only in a series of processing msgs during which a file named something like

"unnamed_panorama1" appears as a tab. When processing stops, that tab vanishes. Sadly, no trace of this file is seen in the recent file list, nor anywhere on the hard-drive.

Yes, Default Photomerge entries are being used (as well as all possible combinations of geo-correct, vig-removal, various
projections etc).

Repeating this merge attempt with ‘tab view’ disabled results in the same sequence (only the evanescent image is a free floating one).

Initially, my thought was that this was because I had not yet ‘activated’ CS4. Sadly, ‘activation’ produced no change: Images are
energetically being processed, but the final result disappears.

Copying the ‘manually align’ option from CS3 into CS4 results, at the end of various processing messages, in an ErrMsg popping up saying that "CS4 was unable to automatically align ‘some’ images.

Um, there were only two images, and was not the point of selecting ‘manually align’ images to MANUALLY align images?

CS4 then displays a completely transparent "untitled_Panorama1" image and LOCKS.

Random clicking on the interface produced a "This program has …" error (I saved the error dump, if anyone from Adobe is interested) and died.

To re-iterate, I have yet to be able to create the simplest two-image panorama with CS4 on two, quite different, XPP/3 systems.

This failure is with images that CS3 has no trouble with on these same systems, at the same time as CS4 fails.

Something is clearly wrong here.
PZ
Ping Zheng
Dec 26, 2008
Hi,could you please deliver some test files failed on Photomerge I use my test files and it seems no problem on my machine By the way,
"Copying the ‘manually align’ option from CS3 into CS4 results" , "’manually align’ option" is what?
PZ
Ping Zheng
Dec 26, 2008
You mean "PhotomergeUI.plugin" ?
Many user encounter the same question, I will try to reproduce this Thanks your support on CS4.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections