A
Posted By
andreleon
Nov 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, When clicking on Filters ," Extract" is unseen . Where’s this tool ? Thanks .

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John Joslin
Nov 13, 2008
I would recommend using the Masks Panel.

Spend a little time learning about that and you’ll never miss the clunky old Extract filter.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 13, 2008
It isn’t supported by Adobe any more. It is a dead filter and was removed from the installation in CS4. It is however included on your CS4 disc so you can install it manually.

Robert
A
andreleon
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks Robert , thanks John ;I’ll try the Masks Panel .
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Nov 13, 2008
Try the Quick Selection Tool – you might want to read up on how it works first – in combination with the Mask Panel.

Mathias
RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 14, 2008
Unfortunately, I don’t find the masks palette to come anywhere close to what and the way extract worked. However, given that Adobe added extract, ignored extract and now killed extract my suggestion would be to either learn to use what is left in Photoshop or find yourself a good masking plug-in from a third party. Extract is gone continuing to try and clutch it is only going to get harder and harder, sooner or later it just won’t be included as an optional item and/or won’t be able to work in Photoshop (as it is upgraded over the coming years).

Robert
R
Rilla
Nov 16, 2008
It’s not so much as a “dead” filter and it is still supported by Adobe. The extract tool isn’t used as much as it used to be, it’s been around forever. Like Robert said it’s included in your extra content cd or at <http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404900>.

-Rilla
B
Buko
Nov 16, 2008
Post 5

Try the quick extraction tool it has been improved, as in it works better. this is most likely why extraction filter was removed.
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 17, 2008
The biggest advantage of Extract had been its color bleed decontamination powers, according the Engineers. I need to check where it is adressed, besides with the color replacement tool.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 17, 2008
Try the quick extraction tool it has been improved, as in it works better. this is most likely why extraction filter was removed.

Buko, did you mean the Quick Selection Tool?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Nov 17, 2008
I’m pretty sure he did, since he referenced my post #5.

The Quick Selection Tool is easily the best new tool in the last several generations of Photoshop.

Another note is that Select>Color Range has been improved in CS4 to allow for better local selections.
B
Buko
Nov 17, 2008
Buko, did you mean the Quick Selection Tool?

yes.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 17, 2008
No its dead when Adobe stops development of it and it isn’t installed as part of Photoshop. If you have install it yourself seperatly it is dead and only a matter of a version or two before it isn’t available as a manual install and won’t work with newer Photoshop versions. The best thing to do it leave it out and find other ways to get your extractions done without it. Do it now before you are forced to.

Robert
ZV
Zac_Van_Note
Jan 23, 2009
There are other options available, including:
Mask Pro (http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=4)

Knockout ( http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1152105 061771#tabview=tab0)

In the meantime, just install if from the Content disc. Look in: English\Goodies\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended\Optional plug-ins

I don’t think you should have to pay $100 for a comparable plug-in if Extract does the job. The Mask panel, Color Range and Quick Select do not offer comparable replacements for the Extract tool. With channels, masks and some tweaking you can get similar results, but for hair and wispy edges, the extract filter could give you some useful results. It wasn’t perfect, but it’s a shame they pulled the plug and didn’t really offer a better alternative.

And where’s the pattern maker? That one was handy for certain tasks…
FA
Frank Arthur
Jan 23, 2009
wrote in message
There are other options available, including:
Mask Pro (http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=4)
Knockout
( http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1152105 061771#tabview=tab0)
In the meantime, just install if from the Content disc. Look in: English\Goodies\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended\Optional plug-ins
I don’t think you should have to pay $100 for a comparable plug-in if Extract does the job. The Mask panel, Color Range and Quick Select do not offer comparable replacements for the Extract tool. With channels, masks and some tweaking you can get similar results, but for hair and wispy edges, the extract filter could give you some useful results. It wasn’t perfect, but it’s a shame they pulled the plug and didn’t really offer a better alternative.

And where’s the pattern maker? That one was handy for certain tasks…

Copy Extract from Photoshop CS3

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections