Posted By
Shipengrover__JD
Nov 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using PS CS3 Extended on a PC

I keep getting the error…file-format module cannot not parse the file" errors when attempting to open PNG or GIF files that were created using the same version of Photoshop.

I used to have to reboot the machine to get rid of this error – but that is no longer working.

The error is occuring more and more frequently.

I really need to edit these files.

Please tell me how to fix this.

I have seen this error in the forum – but was unable to find a real solution. Rebooting the machine is not really a solution.

Thanks
JD

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TT
Toby_Thain
Nov 10, 2008
Does not sound like a Photoshop issue. I’d blame hardware (test RAM and disks), or Windows.
M
Mylenium
Nov 10, 2008
As Toby said – time to do some serious checking or you may find yourself with a completely defunct system tomorrow. I wouldn’t go as far as attributing this to a hardware error, but it’s quite possible that a system DLL used by the loaders is missing/ damaged. Also, since GIFs and PNGs are web image file formats, for the life of it make sure you create proper rules for your virus scanner and firewall to exclude locally created files. Some tools will make files "inert" (to prevent piggyback malware attacks) by chopping off/ changing a few bytes instead of correctly containing them in a safe vault or they may damage the file structure when deep-scanning…

Mylenium
BG
Brian Gibson
Nov 20, 2008
Sounds to me like the file format modules (the things that allow you to open files of certain types, such as PNG) have become corrupted for whatever reason. I would advise doing a virus scan of course, but it could just be that they’ve become corrupt too. It happens.

I had the same thing happen on one of my other machines, and all it took to fix it was to replace the BMP, PNG and Targa file format .8bi file in the photoshop folder. While the following article is about replacing them because of a security flaw, it still gives you the downloads and the information on where to place the new .8bi files. Give this a try. Worked for me.

Here is that article with the downloads. You’ll want to follow the manual instructions: < http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb07-13.ht ml>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections