FS
Posted By
Fran_Saunders
Nov 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Vista 32. After updating to CS4 I can no longer open jpg files directly into PS by clicking on the file in windows explorer or an e-mail. After much searching and looking for file associations, I was able to get jpgs to open into Bridge from windows explorer, but still cannot get them to open directly in PS. When I attempt to open a jpg from an e-mail message, I get a window in Bridge pointed to a temp folder. I did not have this problem with CS3, but am really at a loss for a fix. Anyway know what to do???

TIA,

Fran

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Nov 8, 2008
Cannot Open JPGs directly into PS

what are they opening into?
F
Freeagent
Nov 8, 2008
Did you remove CS3? It may have taken some file associations with it.

Go to Control panel > Default programs > associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Click on .jpeg/.jpg and if PS CS4 isn’t default or in the list of "recommended programs", click "Browse" and navigate to the Photoshop.exe in Program Files.
FS
Fran_Saunders
Nov 11, 2008
They weren’t opening anywhere, but I was able to get them to open into Bridge by changing the association.

Yes, I did remove CS3, but I reinstalled CS4 but that didn’t help and the associate section doesn’t work for CS4 AT ALL. Default programs will not let me associate CS4 with anything.
FS
Fran_Saunders
Nov 11, 2008
Thank you to all for suggestions. I am posting the solution in case other people run into the same problem. This is a registry issue. Run CCleaner until there are no problems to fix. You will then be able to use "open with" to associate both the psd and jpg files with CS4. At least, it worked for me.

Fran
F
Freeagent
Nov 11, 2008
This seems to have happened to a few people. If the registry cleaner in CCleaner fixes it, that’s another recommendation for this great little utility.

Registry Mechanic is another good registry cleaner, although it’s not free.
RR
Rodney_Rivers
Nov 11, 2008
I was having the same problem. Registry Mechanic was the solution I used as well.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections