CB
Posted By
Cactus Bob
Oct 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Someone gave me a scan of text on a T-shirt that needs correcting. Because it was fabric, and they were not careful enough, the scanned words are not straight. They curve up like the arch of a bridge. I have been fooling with Photoshop trying to pull the center portion down into a straight line of text again. I select the entire image and use the transform tools but haven’t been able to "pull the arch down." Any suggestions?

The shirt is no longer available to rescan. I would prefer to work on the entire image at once instead of each letter (which would seem to be a prohibitive task, as there are a lot of characters to deal with).

Thanks in advance

–Cactus

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JK
JP Kabala
Oct 24, 2003
try this:
(don’t get all cranky on me boys and girls, but this is a task that is easier to do in PSP8
than in PS7, because Jasc’s warp tools aren’t shoved in a dialog box like liquify is, and you
can see your guides and layers while you’re working.) HOWEVER, that aside…
here’s a way to have a guide you can see inside the liquify dialog box.

Put your t-shirt image on its own layer. Name this layer "shirt" Create a new layer.
On the new layer, draw a fairly bold straight line in a contrasting color (doesn’t
matter what color, because you’re going to trash it later) under the text you are
trying to straighten. Fill the rest of the layer with white or black or some other
solid (whichever contrasts best with your
shirt image) Name this layer "guide" (If you need to align the top and bottom of the text,
you can draw a contrasting rectangle the size you want the text to be instead of a line,
or if you have upper/lower case letters you can create more guides– one for the
caps, one for lc, one for lc ascenders, one for lc descenders– it would look a little
like the paper they use to teach gradeschoolers to print on ) Drag this layer below the "shirt" layer

Click on the shirt layer, and choose Filter>liquefy
Down in the lower right corner of the dialog box see the option called "backdrop’?
set that to the "guide" layer and reduce the opacity enough to see the guide through the shirt.. now use liquify (and a big old brush tip– set the brush
parameters to allow a smooth distortion) to straighten out the image

When you’re done, delete the guide layer.

"Cactus Bob" wrote in message
Someone gave me a scan of text on a T-shirt that needs correcting.
Because
it was fabric, and they were not careful enough, the scanned words are not straight. They curve up like the arch of a bridge. I have been fooling with Photoshop trying to pull the center portion down into a straight line of text again. I select the entire image and use the transform tools but haven’t been able to "pull the arch down." Any suggestions?
The shirt is no longer available to rescan. I would prefer to work on the entire image at once instead of each letter (which would seem to be a prohibitive task, as there are a lot of characters to deal with).
Thanks in advance

–Cactus

E
Eliska
Oct 24, 2003
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:16:54 -0400, "Cactus Bob" wrote:

Someone gave me a scan of text on a T-shirt that needs correcting. Because it was fabric, and they were not careful enough, the scanned words are not straight. They curve up like the arch of a bridge. I have been fooling with Photoshop trying to pull the center portion down into a straight line of text again. I select the entire image and use the transform tools but haven’t been able to "pull the arch down." Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

–Cactus

What are you trying to adjust it for? Do you just want it to be more clear on the t-shirt or do you just need the text by itself. If it’s the latter, see if you can find out what the font is and go from there.
CB
Cactus Bob
Oct 24, 2003
Someone gave me a scan of text on a T-shirt that needs correcting.
Because
it was fabric, and they were not careful enough, the scanned words are
not
straight. They curve up like the arch of a bridge. I have been fooling with Photoshop trying to pull the center portion down into a straight
line
of text again. I select the entire image and use the transform tools but haven’t been able to "pull the arch down." Any suggestions?
The shirt is no longer available to rescan. I would prefer to work on
the
entire image at once instead of each letter (which would seem to be a prohibitive task, as there are a lot of characters to deal with).
Thanks in advance

–Cactus

What are you trying to adjust it for? Do you just want it to be more clear on the t-shirt or do you just need the text by itself. If it’s the latter, see if you can find out what the font is and go from there.

They owner wants to document the T-shirt for posterity. It is from a University group that has been producing creative T’s for twenty years. I want to be as true to the original as possible without simply copying the text and font style. Historical accuracy and all that kind of stuff. What I want to do is bring the scan back to what the original T looked like: Text in a straight line.

Kabala has suggested using the liquefy filter, something I’ve never used before. Sounds like it may work! <fingers crossed>

–Cactus
U
Uni
Oct 24, 2003
JP Kabala wrote:
try this:
(don’t get all cranky on me boys and girls, but this is a task that is easier to do in PSP8
than in PS7,

I don’t see a soul agreeing with you. Why does that not surprise me?

Uni
JK
JP Kabala
Oct 25, 2003
You are truly tiresome. When are you going to get it
through your thick skull that ****I don’t take sides in this stupid PS/PSP argument?*** All I am interested in is helping folks, no matter which program they use, to be a little happier, more confident, more efficient, or more successful.

I don’t trash Adobe, I don’t trash Jasc, and I only rarely trash Microsoft when they really deserve it.

It’s not a religion with me, it’s just software. A TOOL. I own , use, and teach many different apps. No one program is perfect. There are things– like channel editing and curves adjustments– that are much easier to do in PS, there are others that are easier to do in PSP, and some that should intelligently be done in other more appropriate apps (if you have them) rather than in either one.

It so happens that a quirk in the application of PSP8’s mesh warp makes it the PERFECT tool for fixing this exact problem, and there is no direct equivalent in PS7. (PS7 has meshes, but they are created and applied differently) You want me to balance the scales? Here’s one– PSP has no direct equivalent of displacement maps.

Feel better? Now eat your cookie and wash your hands before bedtime.

"Uni" wrote in message
JP Kabala wrote:
try this:
than in PS7,

Uni
U
Uni
Oct 25, 2003
JP Kabala wrote:
through your thick skull that ****I don’t take sides in this stupid PS/PSP argument?*** All I am interested in is helping folks, no matter which program they use, to be a little happier, more confident, more efficient, or more successful.

I don’t trash Adobe, I don’t trash Jasc, and I only rarely trash Microsoft when they really deserve it.

It’s not a religion with me, it’s just software. A TOOL. I own , use, and teach many different apps. No one program is perfect. There are things– like channel editing and curves adjustments– that are much easier to do in PS, there are others that are easier to do in PSP, and some that should intelligently be done in other more appropriate apps (if you have them) rather than in either one.
It so happens that a quirk in the application of PSP8’s mesh warp makes it the PERFECT tool for fixing this exact problem, and there is no direct equivalent in PS7. (PS7 has meshes, but they are created and applied differently) You want me to balance the scales? Here’s one– PSP has no direct equivalent of displacement maps.
Feel better? Now eat your cookie and wash your hands before bedtime.

The ONLY reason you’re a "fan" of PSP, is because the software company recognized your constant cheerleading: http://www.jasc.com/promos/kabala/

However, you’re not alone, as Ron L., Sally, B., Linda N., Porter, Joe
C. and several others are JUST cheerleaders.

Oh, some of them are even PSPer’s, like you:
http://www.lvsonline.com/instructors.shtml

http://www.lvsonline.com/logos.shtml
Did you win a Jasc T-shirt yet?

L there, all your favorite PSPer’s:
http://jpkabala.com/paranormal/links.html

It certainly looks as though you’re biased.

If you’re going to be a cheerleader for a software firm, at the very least, select one that doesn’t harass their customers:
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/uni_stuff/Jasc_abuse.h tml

Uni

"Uni" wrote in message

JP Kabala wrote:

try this:
than in PS7,

Uni

JK
JP Kabala
Oct 25, 2003
No more. Civilized conversation with you is completely futile. Every so often I think that you are human, and as such, intelligent and sensible enough to make me want to try to appeal to your "better instincts" —then you forcefully remind me that you HAVE no better instincts. (sigh)

You have a burr under your saddle about Jasc, and are totally irrational on the topic. I don’t know, or want to know, what started it but do know I am blessedly tired of hearing about it.

Plonk
U
Uni
Oct 25, 2003
JP Kabala wrote:
No more. Civilized conversation with you is completely futile. Every so often I think that you are human, and as such, intelligent and sensible enough to make me want to try to appeal to your "better instincts" —then you forcefully remind me that you HAVE no better instincts. (sigh)

You have a burr under your saddle about Jasc,

Yes, they are corrupt when they allow their employees to attack their customers.

Pretty sad when you think about it.

Uni
H
Hecate
Oct 26, 2003
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:03:26 GMT, "JP Kabala" wrote:

JP, don’t bother. Well known troll. Save yourself the time and effort and killfile the moron. 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
JK
JP Kabala
Oct 26, 2003
Done. My tendency to give people the benefit of the
doubt has worn completely out on this one.

"Hecate" wrote in message
JP, don’t bother. Well known troll. Save yourself the time and effort and killfile the moron. 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
U
Uni
Oct 26, 2003
Hecate wrote:

JP, don’t bother.

She has kill filed me twice, so far. I wish she’d remember it, for a change.

Uni

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections