M
Posted By
miklar
Nov 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Photoshop CS4, both the 32 and 64 bit versions (part of the "Master Collection"). After opening the programs I changed the scratch disk location to two separate drives other than where Photoshop resides, where it had placed said file as a default. Now neither Photoshop versions will open.
I get the following message:
"Could not open a scratch file because the scratch file is locked…" Just one problem, there is no scratch file visible on either of the two drives… My operating system is Vista Ultimate on a 64 bit Quad CPU machine with 8Gb of ram, two Raptor HDs, four 750Gb HDs configured into one RAID 5 drive and Nvida GEForce 8800GTS graphics card.
Has anyone here experienced a similar problem???
Cheers,
Michael

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
miklar
Nov 7, 2008
Forgot to mention, both version opened and closed several times without problems until I reset the scratch disk locations.
Cheers,
Michael
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 7, 2008
sounds like a permissions problem. are you running as administrator? if not, try that.

if so, reset the preferences (crtl-alt-shift during startup. you’ll get a box asking if you want to delete the settings, if you don’t get the box, you didn’t get it fast enough, try again!)

if that gets you in, when you change the scratch disk again, make sure the user you’re using has read/write/create/delete (maybe execute?) permissions to the location you choose for the scratch files.
M
miklar
Nov 7, 2008
Thanks a bunch, I couldn’t remember that one also had to press the shift key ;~) FYI, administration permission is the standard for this computer. Also, the only change I made to get it loading again was to reinstate the "C" drive for the 1st scratch disk. The very thing I wanted to avoid 🙁

Thanks again
Michael
F
Freeagent
Nov 7, 2008
Lots of people seem to have problems with RAID 5. Is that the one you’re assigning as scratch? What about the other raptor?
AM
Arnie_Milowsky
Dec 1, 2008
Had the same problem, and called Adobbe tech support, who solved the problem <g>. In Computer find the disk you want to use as a scratch disk, select, right click, and choose properties. Go to the Security tab and highlight Users (your name) and look at the Permissions. To use as a scratch disk, Full control needs to be checked (Allowed). If it’s not, edit the Permissions for Users, and check Full Control. Apply and OK. Setting that disk as a scratch disk should now work fine.
AG
ash_geary
Dec 14, 2008
Anyone know how to fix this in Mac? osx 10.5.5

My permissions are set to Read and Write and I am an administrator.
AG
ash_geary
Dec 14, 2008
Just figured it out on my own.
-Select the drive
-CMD+I
-Unlock by clicking the little lock at the bottom right
-Enter password
-Select "Ignore ownership on this volume"
-Click the little gear icon
-Apply to Enclosed Items

If you make changes and can’t get PShop to open, go to your Library, Preferences, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings, and delete "Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp"
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 14, 2008
Thanks Ash. Maybe you should drop your pearls of wisdom in the PS MAC forum; not many Windows users can profit from them!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections