G
Posted By
grahamtav
Nov 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible for the ‘float all windows’ option to stay or be permanent. Despite setting this option everytime I open a new image it reverts back to the ‘tab’ option – or is it just me!
Graham

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KP
Kwan_Parker
Nov 6, 2008
Yes.

Go to Edit . . . Preferences . . . Interface

Under Panels and Documents, remove the check mark from "Open documents as tabs."
F
Freeagent
Nov 6, 2008
nevermind
G
grahamtav
Nov 6, 2008
thanks for your help Kwan – your a star!!

Freeagent, you were nearly a star!

Graham
F
Freeagent
Nov 6, 2008
you were nearly a star!

Oh well…
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 6, 2008
s’okay fa. we still like you. XD
G
grahamtav
Nov 6, 2008
fa, only joking – ‘who loves you baby’!!!
KT
Kamon_Tander
Nov 27, 2008
hello everybody,

disabling "Open documents as tabs." works well if you try to open documents using File > Open…, but if you drag and drop documents to Ps (which is what I usually do) they are opened in tabs regardless of this setting in prefs.
is there an option/hack that corrects this as well?
QP
Q_Photo
Nov 28, 2008
After dragging the file into the Photoshop window drag it out again onto the desktop, don’t let go of mouse button, then drag it back in.
Q
KT
Kamon_Tander
Nov 28, 2008
thank you Q,

if I understood you correctly, the action you’ve described is undocking a single tab. however, I’m working with multiple images, and this would be just too time consuming for me..

the best solution I came up with so far is creating an action wich points to menu item – Window > Arrange > Float All in Windows, and assigning it a shortcut key. but IMHO, this is just one step too much (considering that it was default behavior up until this version of Ps).
S
SZerner
Nov 28, 2008
Please try the following: When dragging a file into Photoshop, release the mouse button on Photoshops menu bar on top, and it will be opened as a floating window. In the preferences, "Open documents as tabs" must be disabled for this to function.
KT
Kamon_Tander
Nov 28, 2008
that did it!

thank you very much SZ, I am very grateful 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 28, 2008
Good tip SZ!
K
Koogle
Nov 29, 2008
Now where is the option to make floating document work at the same speed as previous Photoshop versions!!!

that and not have floating documents overlay ontop of toolbar panels!! :((( morron design

oh and the option to have Photoshop adhere to a System OS design style.. not some grey crap for a toolbar.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 29, 2008
The grey title bar is a bit disconcerting but after a while you get used to it. I think it’s the future for serious imaging programs.

Who needs gaudy windows?
CF
chris_farrell
Nov 29, 2008
If you are doing serious colour critical work it IS a good idea to have all interface information / toolbars / etc as neutral as possible.

If you want an ‘o/s design sytle’ use MS paint 😀 …;)
K
Koogle
Nov 29, 2008
depends if your system style is some default looking shite or an actually more professional looking… whatever the case its better than CS4 crappy style.

"If you are doing serious colour critical work it IS a good idea to have all interface information / toolbars / etc as neutral as possible"

what a load crock… PS CS3 had a better GUI design than CS4 shite GUI.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Nov 29, 2008
Then stick with CS3. No one is making you upgrade. If you want CS4 for the features then stop bitching about the interface and move on. A lot of people complained about CS3 having and old, ugly and outdated interface. I could careless CS3 was fine, CS4 is fine. I don’t use software because it looks pretty.

Robert
CF
chris_farrell
Nov 29, 2008
This is true Rob….I can’t believe koogle is still banging on about cs4. He should get a refund for CS4 and go back to CS3 – at least then he ( or she ) will stop crying about CS4 issues. lol.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections