Posted By
Mark_J_Peterson
Nov 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. Strange thing just happened to me:

I save a CS3 .psd file with text layers (they are actively installed on my XP system, they appear in the Photoshop type tool’s drop-down list).

I close the file. I reopen it three minutes later (because I found a typo).

Upon opening, PS says:

Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output. Do you want to update these layers now ?

When I click on "Update", the file opens fine, all text layers display properly and can be edited.

This does not always happen, but it already happened a couple of times to me and I can’t track down the problem …

Any ideas ?
Thanks!
There are dozens of google hits for this error message, mostly in other forums, but in each instance I found, after a bit of investigation, it turned out to be a missing font problem.
(which obviously isn’t the case here…)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Nov 6, 2008
Try trashing/resetting Preferences as per the FAQs.

Possibly an invisible character (a space or return, for instance) that’s in another font?) You could select all the text and make sure it’s all in the font(s) you want. Just a shot in the dark.
MJ
Mark_J_Peterson
Nov 6, 2008
Hi Ed, thanks for your help.
I don’t think I can resetting my prefs as this problem doesn’t occur often, so I can’t verify the effects unfortunately. And on a long term basis I need a lot of prefs settings as they are for my work, so … (besides, I don’t see any settings related to this problem anyway).

"in another font" ==> other than what? I have several different fonts in my document. They all displayed in the text tool’s drop down menu and were chosen this way. It’s also not a missing font problem or a badly installed font, because when I click on "update", the file opens fine, all text layers are there, look like they should and are text-editable. Subsequent saving and re-opening isn’t subject to the error-message anymore.

So there are no immediate problems for me, but it’s still obvious, that I’m doing something wrong, otherwise I wouldn’t get this error message from times to times.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 6, 2008
I have heard that this warning can occur spuriously sometimes.

If nothing changes when you click update. i would ignore it.
MJ
Mark_J_Peterson
Nov 6, 2008
🙂

My only fear is that something’s wrong (otherwise I would probably not get the error message) and I don’t experience any problems now, but when I get to CS4 or 5, I suddenly realize that all my files have broken text layers …
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 6, 2008
I get them from time to time. no worry.
MJ
Mark_J_Peterson
Nov 7, 2008
OK, thanks.

I know, I’m a chicken … 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections