PShop 5.5 – using text tool, can’t change color of one word…

HG
Posted By
Happy_Girl
Nov 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,
I’m using the text tool and want to change the color of one word but when I select that word and click on the Color Picker box then select the color I want, the entire text changes to that color. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve got several paragraphs and want all the text except the one word to be black. This page is Layer 2 and has the ‘T’ next to it in the Layers palette.

Cany ideas?

Thanks,
Nancy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Nov 2, 2008
I’d suggest creating a marquee around the text you want to color, then isolate it with an Adjustment Layer ("A.L.") mask, but I forget how the A.L.s worked in PS 5.5

I have 4.0 and 6.0 still installed, and just tried it with 4.0.

After making the marquee selection, go to Main Menus—>Layer—>New—>Adjustment Layer… choose either "Selective Color" or "Solid Color" (If it’s available in PS 5.5). Set the A.L.’s blending mode to "Screen" and either tweak the color sliders in "Selective Color" or choose a color in "Solid Color"
HG
Happy_Girl
Nov 3, 2008
Hi – I was able to create the adjustment layer and selected Selective Color then the mode ‘Screen’ however nothing happened. I’m not sure why. Sigh.

Thanks for your help though.

~Nancy
P
Phosphor
Nov 3, 2008
Is your text all Black to start with?

If so…then you’ll have to select "Black" from the Selective color drop down.

Then, pull the Black slider to the left about halfway (just for srtarters) and the C, M, & Y sliders to the right.

Experiment, dag nabbit! I don’t generally give instructions that don’t work. I do, however, occasionally, intentionally, not write out every. last. tiny. detail. Partially because I’m famously lazy, and partially because it gives the student something to go on, with maybe a little motivation to further their enlightenment by looking at the Help Files and through experimentational curiosity.

There are other ways to do what you want, but I thought I’d start you off easy.

XD
HG
Happy_Girl
Nov 3, 2008
Bless your heart for being patient with XD. I’ve had a rather frustrating ‘technology day’ with my husband’s laptop (using Vista) and uploading photos but I figured that out. On top of that, my sister had a few changes to make to her website and – unfortunately – most of the pages with loads of text are done with PhotoShop then converted to .jpg’s. I know…I know. I’m trying to find the time to change those pages in DreamWeaver to table format instead of layer format…long story.

All that to say – thank you so much and I love your ‘dag nabbit’…that’s my kind of talk. I’m grateful for your help and it’s ended my day on a better note! 😉

Sounds like you’re a teacher? Maybe you’ll have advice for me with DreamWeaver…. ?

Thanks again,
Nancy
P
Phosphor
Nov 3, 2008
"Sounds like you’re a teacher? Maybe you’ll have advice for me with DreamWeaver…. ? "

Nahhh…I’m just a self-taught purty pitcher maker.

I leave all that codey stuff to the fart smuckers. I’m slowly trying to learn deeper web stuff, but my brain’s wired to find it a chore. Still, I persist, and read, and experiment, and have a mistake:success ratio of about 500:1.

Still, I trudge on.

😉 XD

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections