BS
Posted By
Brett_Simms
Nov 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not sure what’s happened, but the new tiled painting function doesn’t seem to be working for me. I tried it once or twice and it was fine, but now I keep hitting ‘new tiled painting’ and it creates a 3D layer that is totally blank/empty. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

b

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 5, 2008
No one else having this issue? Could Adobe weigh in with some word?

Thanks!

b
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 5, 2008
check in the options bar, maybe reset the tool? (are standard replies…)
EW
ekim_wahs
Nov 5, 2008
What is on the layer that you are trying to create a Tiled Painting from?
BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 6, 2008
Ekim:
It varies from a small selection to a full canvas, and I have tried it with floating layers and just flat backgrounds. Today it was actually working again. Same files – nothing really different.

Is this a function that demands GPU functionality? I’m on xp64 so that goes in and out all the time – maybe it has to be on for this tool to work?

Dave: I am not sure if there are any options – I did not see anything to ‘reset’ but I’ll try. Thanks,
b
BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 6, 2008
So it is mysteriously working still, but I am noticing now that cloning in the 3D tiled painting creates blurring in the image – like the cloned areas are being processed somehow. If I open the ‘texture’ as a separate file (double click it and edit it) then I can clearly see the cloned areas are much softer. Cloning in that window works fine, but in the tiled 3D view it’s quite mushy.

Is that normal or is something else going on here?

Thanks
b
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 6, 2008
Yes, the tiled painting is tied into 3D GPU functionality.
BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 6, 2008
Okay – thanks Chris. What about this blurring thing with cloning? How do you get around that, or is it just the way it works?

b
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 6, 2008
I don’t know – I haven’t seen that one happen.
EW
ekim_wahs
Nov 6, 2008
Cloning and painting on a 3d object uses projection paint. If the surface is not facing you there will be interpolation to apply the data to the surface. You also need to take into account the model view which may not be a 1 to 1 match with the texture on the model. The Paint Render mode helps identify good painting areas. Another point to consider is the Paint fall off angle, which controls how much paint is applied to a surface as it curves away from the forward facing surface. See the Photoshop help for Setting the paint fall off angle, and Identify paintable areas.
BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 6, 2008
Thanks for the information.

However, I am not sure it applies to the 3D tiled painting since the object created is just a flat plane, that, theoretically at least, I would think is flat to camera. If it’s still using projection painting or fall off curves etc. then that is beyond the user’s control I guess.

Anyway, something in Pshop appears to need a tweak with this tool – it’s not terribly useful if the cloning etc does not match for quality (and healing brush doesn’t work with the tiling function on my machine at least) and if the ‘automatic’ object setup doesn’t work well for the purpose there’s nothing much the user can do except skip it and do it by hand.

I’d love to see it sorted out though – it’s a potentially *very* handy function.

Thanks,
b
BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 6, 2008
I think I understand what is happening now with the blurring of the image.

When you convert to a 3D tiled painting it creates 3X3 tiles of the image on the 3D plane, but it does it within the same pixel size/canvas size of the original image. So, when you sample in the 3D tiled view and clone across it samples the image at 1/3 the size, and then converts that back into the diffuse texture (the smartobject of the original image) which means it gets upsampled 3X to get back to full size. Clearly not ideal, and the image is getting trashed along the way unfortunately. It would be okay for loose painterly patterns etc, but it’s no good at all for anything with even moderate detail.

I am trying to figure out a workaround that makes use of this system because the tiled view makes it very quick to remove seams, but so far I haven’t hit on one that is any quicker than just doing this the old-fashioned way with things like the offset filter (or 3rd party software)

Any chance this could be tuned up a bit by Adobe?

b
EW
ekim_wahs
Nov 6, 2008
If you set the render settings to paint mask on the tiled painting you will see the image turn red, This indicates that paint applied will be oversampled as you found out. To rectify you can change the camera position, 3d object scale or image size to get to a good painting resolution. In the case of tiled painting you can use image size and increase by 300% to get to a 1:1 match. The healing brush is working across all the tiles, but there is an update bug, if you force a render by clicking on the Render Settings button in the 3d panel and click Ok without changing anything all the tiles will get updated.
BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 6, 2008
Great – thanks Ekim!
I tried resizing the canvas before converting to a tiled painting, but it didn’t occur to me to do it after – that works great!

A question about quality: do the render settings impact the image quality for cloning purposes? I.e should the anti-aliasing be adjusted for best result (or anything else for that matter) or is that stuff irrelevant for this type of task?

I’ll try the update bug workaround for the healing brush – thanks for the help.

b
SG
steve_guilhamet
Nov 7, 2008
Hi Brett,

The render settings control how the 3D aspects of the layer appear. They won’t change the quality of the underlying diffuse texture map. So if you are taking the diffuse map and using it as a tile somewhere else it won’t matter.
BS
Brett_Simms
Nov 7, 2008
Thanks Steve. Just wasn’t sure since it was obviously upsampling etc. Thanks for the help.

b

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections