RR
Posted By
Richard_Rosenberg
Oct 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I enter text and use the enter key to go to the next line, it acts like clicking on the check mark to accept the text rather than as a carriage return. I played around with it for a while and found holding the function key while pressing enter creates the desired result.
I am running on a Toshiba Laptop on Vista Home Premium SP1. It’s weird because I didn’t have this problem on PS 7. Any ideas or answers would be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Oct 29, 2008
This keeps cropping up.

Most Laptops don’t have a dedicated "Enter" key so you need to use Shift+Enter.
RR
Richard_Rosenberg
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks John.

It seems like my Toshiba doesn’t like Shift+enter either. Will only take Function+Enter. Strange combination.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 29, 2008
Fn+enter. yes. many laptops require that.

Strange combination.

that’s how many laptops get away with selling small keyboards. my dell has the numeric keypad from a normal keyboard mapped to a set of Fn combinations mapped to: "op[", "l;’" and ",./"

gotta look for those little embossed symbols on the keys… 🙂
P
PECourtejoie
Oct 29, 2008
Richard, that’s the expected result when you press the enter key: you commit the text editing.

I guess that if you hit CTRL+FN+Enter, you will also commit the text, as it is the case when you hit CTRL+Return on a "normal" keyboard.

Ps7’s text engine is quite old compared to the one of more recent versions, and the Enter/Return behaviour was maybe different.

There might be a setting somewhere in Windows to have the Enter key become a Return key by default, and require you to use FN to get Enter
RR
Richard_Rosenberg
Oct 29, 2008
It’s a full keyboard with the numeric keypad. Neither enter keys work. Go figure.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 29, 2008
Something must be stealing the keys from Photoshop.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections