MM
Posted By
Marie_Maier
Oct 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Which one is causing the problem: PS 7 or my new 22" LCD Screen? No matter how many times I remove preferences, I get the same results.

Problem: All circles are printed as ovals. What is designed in photographs looks fine on the screen, but when printed the shapes are elongated. To print them "correctly", I have to stretch out the circles horizontally until they print as circles. This is really dumb!

Please help. LCD screen is great, I love it, but I must be missing something here……..appreciated some helpful ideas…………….mm

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 28, 2008
are you using the screen’s native resolution (the actual value will change with the monitor, but it should be recorded in the manual). you have to…
E
EmJayPrice
Oct 28, 2008
Before you buy a new video card I would make sure you have the latest drivers for the one you have.

You may get the support that you are looking for in an updated version.

Alternatively there are ways to make the driver provide support, but this is not for the faint of heart and can be problematic.

"Bob Levine" wrote in message
As Dave points out, this is common issue when moving to widescreen LCDs. All LCDs must be run at their native resolution but this is even more important with widescreens.

If you have an older computer it’s quite likely you won’t have support for that monitor and will need a new video card.

Bob
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 28, 2008
Please turn off the autoquote in your newsreader.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 28, 2008
before getting a new video card OR updating the drivers, make sure the monitor is set to it’s native resolution! 🙂
MM
Marie_Maier
Oct 28, 2008
Ok, guys, thanks so much for the info…..As a noobie with LCD’s, please tell me what native resolution is? How/where do I discover this……

I used the disc that came with the monitor, and yes, people DO consider my 5 year old computer "old", but it has to stick around a lot longer yet.

Robert, what "autoquote"…..you mean quotation marks? ….geez…..and many thanks everyone……mm
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 28, 2008
It wasn’t aimed at you. It was for EmJayPrice who quoted the entire message before his which is why I deleted that text.

What monitor did you buy Marie? Most 22" widescreen monitors have a native resolution 1680×1050. That’s not a recommendation…it’s a requirement.

Bob
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 28, 2008
1280 x 1024 is not a widescreen resolution, so the good news is that’s the problem you’re having. Just figure out your monitor’s native resolution (Google your monitor model and "native resolution" or check the specs on Amazon, your manual, etc). Bob meant native resolution is a requirement, not necessarily the numbers he quoted (though he is right a lot of the time 🙂 ).

J
MM
Marie_Maier
Oct 28, 2008
OMG!!!!! You guys, as always, are so awesome! I just went back to Dell, checked on the UltraSharp 2208 I bought, and lo and behold—there it was: 1680X1050. So, you are all so right on…..Guess I’ll just have to get used to teeny-tiny lil’icons……
Thanks so much all………………m

Now, I just discovered that little ditty about upgrading PS7’S deadline, and let me tell you that really, really, really stinks! How in the world can ADOBE be so darn inconsiderate? I have no idea when that notice even first appeared as I only contact the Forums when, logically, I have a problem…gonna give them a phone call….mm
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 28, 2008
call call call quick quick quick! good luck!
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 28, 2008
Now, I just discovered that little ditty about upgrading PS7’S deadline

That’s been no secret for over a year and half.

But it wouldn’t hurt to call TODAY.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Oct 28, 2008
Well, I just did–to no avail. All the dear customer service guy had to offer was the possibility of my buying CS from a 3rd party.

Makes me so mad, that I may go back to CorelDraw…………………m
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 28, 2008
Mad at what? Like I said earlier, this has been known for over a year and half. What you like Adobe to do? Show up at your door and personally inform you that you only have 18 months to upgrade?

It’s been discussed over and over again here just about every time someone mentions that they’re still using Photoshop 7. And now all of a sudden after 6 years of not upgrading you find out that you can’t and now you want to?

I’m sorry but you’re being totally unreasonable.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 28, 2008
you might still be able to pick up a legit version of cs3 at a retailer. that would put you back into the upgrade path for next time…
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 28, 2008
call around local stores that sell software. oh wait!

amazon still has some direct (don’t buy from the resellers!)

< http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS3-Upgrade-VERSION/dp /B000NDIC04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=122522 2449&sr=8-1>
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 28, 2008
As Dave points out, this is common issue when moving to widescreen LCDs. All LCDs must be run at their native resolution but this is even more important with widescreens.

If you have an older computer it’s quite likely you won’t have support for that monitor and will need a new video card.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Oct 29, 2008
Sorry Bob, I don’t think I’m being unreasonable. If I read the Forums daily as I do a few newspapers, I would have seen that notice. However,that’s not the case, and since I’ve been working mostly with AI lately, I haven’t had any problems with PS in a long time, until now.

What could Adobe do? Use a data base of its softwares wherever it has registration info of the purchasers. Email addresses could be included and batch notices could go out all at once. What would be so difficult with a company of this size doing just that?

I wonder just how many PS7 oldsters like me are still using and loving PS7? In case you haven’t heard, this is a pretty lousy time to be shelling out hundreds of dollars on anything these days. At the prices Adobe is asking for the advanced softwares, it’ll be a snowy day in haides when I can afford any.

Come on Bob. Adobe could find ways to contact previous purchases if it really wanted to get the word out to everyone. Apparantly, they didn’t want to bother very much. Peace……………….mm
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Oct 29, 2008
What could Adobe do?

Caveat emptor. Ultimately, it is the buyer’s responsibility – like it or not – to look out for their own best interest.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 29, 2008
You haven’t upgraded in 6 years or so. My guess is that either most people during that time would have opted out of Adobe emails or hit the unsubscribe link at some point. When CS3 was released it was pretty clear that it would be the last chance to upgrade.

These are professional applications and as a professional it’s your responsibility to keep track of what you’re eligible for and when.

Adobe’s done plenty of things I don’t agree with but this isn’t one of them.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 29, 2008
but this isn’t one of them.

the 3 version back upgrade policy sure is one of em! it was a source of pride to be able to tell people "adobe will upgrade you even if you’re running version 1.0"… not anymore. what a bleak and horrible future we live in. 😉

go get that copy of cs3 from amazon marie, before they sell out. once their stock is gone, they won’t be getting any more.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 29, 2008
At some point that had to stop since upgrading very old version required phone support everytime you install them. Or did you forget all of the posts complaining about having to do that?

Who’s going to pay for it?

Again, it’s not like there was no warning.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 29, 2008
yea, but <shrug>. it was a good selling point, imo, and worth the hassle every now an then.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 29, 2008
At some point that had to stop since upgrading very old version required phone support everytime you install them.

heaven forbid they could come up with a solution that a user might be able to reuse. 😉
MM
Marie_Maier
Oct 29, 2008
Ok you guys—here’s why I LOVE PS7 —I had 2 ‘puter crashes, and re-installation was a breeze; it never shuts down or quits, it opens every single time without a problem– and after reading all the problems of installation and use that all the CS products have given, I’m still glad this old babe is still with me…..

Any anyway, I don’t feel like an "old time invader" infringing on your professional territory. We can still share, can’t we?

Now, go have that 2nd cup of coffee….and relax! Life it too short….mm
P
PeterK.
Oct 29, 2008
Who’s going to pay for it?

How about Adobe? Is it too much to ask that a couple hundred bucks for an upgrade can help cover the cost of a phone support call to install it properly? It’s not like it would happen that often, as the more time goes by, the less of a problem it would be as everyone gets upgraded to more recent versions. I hate the idea of corporations passing responsibilities that should be theirs to the customers that are keeping them in business. I hate it even more when customers simply accept it as a fact of life.
-pump your own gas
-bag your own groceries
-checkout your own groceries
-use an atm instead of a teller (and then get charged for it, while you save the bank money spent hiring tellers)
-go to a website and troubleshoot your problems yourself instead of calling and getting help from a live person
etc.

It would be nice to get more, not less customer service.
B
Buko
Oct 29, 2008
Ok you guys—here’s why I LOVE PS7 —I had 2 ‘puter crashes, and re-installation was a breeze; it never shuts down or quits, it opens every single time without a problem– and after reading all the problems of installation and use that all the CS products have given, I’m still glad this old babe is still with me…..

Well then why do want to upgrade you’re a happy camper what’s the problem?
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 29, 2008
It would be nice to get more, not less customer service.

Can’t argue with that but I’ve only had to call Adobe once in the last 15 years for an install issue. I suspect most other people are in the same boat.

There’s no free lunch here. Someone has to pay for that support and if it’s for someone who’s skipped three upgrades why should the people that have been buying every upgrade have to pay for it?

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 29, 2008
I suspect most other people are in the same boat.

which is why it would cost them next to nothing to provide a courtesy like that to customers.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 29, 2008
You can’t expect outsourced support to show initiative or sympathy – they just follow scripts.
MM
Marie_Maier
Oct 30, 2008
Well guys, this sure is the age of technology, but it’s destructive when speed becomes the criteria of change instead of quality. I can think of lots of products that last 10 years or more, can’t you? Oh, come on, software could be designed for better and longer use too. I can’t help wonder if Adobe hasn’t adopted the greed need for constant upgrades that don’t work easily or well and require patch after patch for fixin’. Do we upgrade because it’s really necessary, or to keep up with the Jones’s, or just ’cause it’s the latest thing to do? Please understand, I admire all who can keep up with the latest widgits and gidgits for whatever personal or professional reason, but let’s not berate those who can’t.

So, thanks Dave, I took your suggestion and checked out Amazon and CS4 is reasonable. If I do get it, it’ll have to sit on a shelf until this ‘puter dies, and by then you guys’ll be in CS 9 or more. I noticed it stated a different screen (1,024×768 display (1,280×800 recommended), and I just changed mine to native resolution for this 22"LCD. Now what?

As always, many thanks………………….mm
BL
Bill_Lamp
Nov 6, 2008
Try it and see. keep your fingers crossed.

That is what I’m going to do when I run the trial at 1280 x 1024 where CS, CS2, & CS3 run without screen problems.

Bill, who’s car is over 10 yrs old, close to 240,000 miles, and still uses under a qt. of oil in 3,000 miles.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections