BW
Posted By
Bryan_Watson
Oct 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently acquired CS4, and while testing out Photoshop CS4, I immediately noticed that objects "jittered" when I move them. The jittering is more prominent when the objects are moved faster, and then "pop" back to regular when they are still.

I tried to get a screen capture, but it captures it looking normal, so I did an approx edit of what I’m seeing.
<http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9593/jitteringmo6.jpg>

I never experienced this issue with CS3. So I did take the time to look through the FAQ and general support, although I could find no solution to this problem. It did prompt that my display was corrupt, but I simply ignored the color profile. Assigning another color profile did not solve anything either. I also have OpenGL Drawing turned off, so that is not the issue.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
AMD X2 3000+ @ 3.0 Ghz
8.0 Gigs of ram
2x Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS (512 MB)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AC
Allen_Cobb
Oct 27, 2008
FWIW, I have the same GeForce 8600GTS, and there is no jitter on my system. I’m running XP/Pro/SP3 with 4G on an intel core2 quad. I upgraded to the latest vid driver when I installed CS4. But with Vista, there could be many other layers between PS and the 8600.

ac
BW
Bryan_Watson
Oct 27, 2008
I’ve upgraded to the latest driver as well, didn’t affect the problem at hand. At least I know it is not a hardware issue.

I’m aware there at lots of issues with the Vista SP1 update influencing graphics and gameplay, so this could be a related issue. I assume someone else on the forum is having the same problem.

Oddly enough this only happens with Photoshop, not Illustrator, InDesign, or Flash. My monitor has been fine for everything else, it’s a 22" Widescreen Samsung at 1680×1050.

I do have XP dual-booting with Vista, so I’ll try to install it on there to see if this is a OS related issue or not.
M
Mylenium
Oct 27, 2008
Have you attempted to increase the cache tile levels in PS? Might also be related…

Mylenium
BW
Bryan_Watson
Oct 28, 2008
I’ve increased and decreased the cache tile, amount of ram usage, and all of the settings in performance with no avail.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 28, 2008
That does look a bit like a video card bug or delay (slow doing the scroll).

You might have better luck with OpenGL drawing turned on – but it’ll depend on the card and driver.
BW
Bryan_Watson
Oct 28, 2008
It does not recognize my graphics card for OpenGL Drawing in Photoshop CS4 32 or 64 bit.

I’m assuming this is a problem with Vista SP1. I would transfer my installation to XP, but it can’t take advantage of the 8 Gigs of ram installed.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 28, 2008
Keep Vista, check for updated drivers.
BW
Bryan_Watson
Oct 28, 2008
I’m not removing Vista, since I already have all the updated drivers for it and the video cards.

I have XP Pro SP3 Dual-Booting, so I’ll try an install on that to see if it resolves the issue. That way I can cancel out a software / hardware issue.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections