"English: UK" interface is not UK at all (CS4)

DC
Posted By
Dominic_C
Oct 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, I have "English: UK" set as my interface language, yet I don’t see any actual UK spelling anywhere whatsoever.

Every single mention of "Color" is not spelled as "Colour", "Gray" when it should be "Grey", "Fibers" -> "Fibres", and most likely others I haven’t spotted yet.

So what is the point of having the UK language option if it’s exactly the same as the US one? Call me picky, but I did choose UK for a reason. It would have been nice to see the correct spelling being used for the language I chose.

(Photoshop CS4 Extended)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Oct 24, 2008
Be glad you can read it.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 24, 2008
what do you mean interface language? is that something new in cs4? otherwise, if you mean the language you chose when viewing the EULA during install, that’s just for the license. unless it’s changed in cs4, the language was always determined by the version you bought. if you bought a UK english version, you should see UK english spelling. if you bought a spanish version you would see spanish menus, even though you could choose to view the license in say english during installation.

so the question is did you BUY a uk english version or did you perhaps get a us english version so you didn’t have to pay the vat and all that junk? (for some strange reason, most european versions are almost double in cost what the us versions are.)
DC
Dominic_C
Oct 25, 2008
Yes, interface language, not EULA. Edit > Preferences > Interface > UI language. I believe this is new to CS4, yes.

Buko, please keep pointless, unhelpful posts to yourself. This isn’t a readability issue, it’s a query.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 25, 2008
I believe this is new to CS4, yes.

wow. cool. sorry. i’ve got a few weeks before i pick up cs4. wish i could, but i can’t help.
M
Mylenium
Oct 25, 2008
Dominic, did you choose "UK" (en_GB) during install? After the license is displayed, you can choose the application language on the panel where your select the individual install path and components. If you didn’t, it will default to US (en_US) and the proper language version will not be used, so it’s not available from within PS, either.

Mylenium
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2008
Well I chose "English: UK" and it shows in the Interface Preferences as such but the UI is still all Americanized. 🙁
M
Mylenium
Oct 25, 2008
Mmh, odd. I wouldn’t know, as obviously I would choose German or leave it at US…

Mylenium
DC
Dominic_C
Oct 25, 2008
Yeah, I chose UK at installation (or perhaps it was English International, I can’t remember) and it has "English: UK" as the UI language, yet the language isn’t UK, it’s US.

Very odd… I’m wondering what the point of the UK option is or if there’s a bug here.

Thanks for mentioning you’re getting the problem too, John. I’m glad it’s not just me.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 25, 2008
The ‘localized’ UK version of Photoshop has always had US spelling in my experience. The only localized thing about it is the european price.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2008
Just makes you wonder why they put that new (non-functional) drop-down in Preferences > Interface.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 25, 2008
Just makes you wonder why they put that new (non-functional) drop-down in Preferences > Interface.

During install I noticed the very last thing that was installed was the UK English language. Maybe they are preparing the introduction of multiple language installs.

Although I’m Dutch I have the English language PS. The Dutch translation for CS4 is due December. It will be 400 euros more expensive and contain words I never heard of.

Rob
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2008
Usually the language is for Spelling Dictionaries.

Be glad its not Japanese
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2008
Usually the language is for Spelling Dictionaries.

Not this time.
DE
Dave_Evanson
Oct 26, 2008
When I installed the UK version of Design Premium (DVD) I could select the language to view the EULA but the language option selection for the actual install was greyed out and set to International English – I assume it sets the language option from the serial number.
DC
Dominic_C
Oct 26, 2008
Buko, what are you on about? Spelling Dictionaries? It says "UI language" – that means USER INTERFACE. It has nothing to do with Text entry. In fact, the default language on text being written is actually set to "English: USA". How ridiculous is that? Not only is the UI language wrong, but the default text entry is too!

In terms of language itself (as it says UK), it may as well actually be Japanese because it certainly is not UK (like it says!).

For the second time, please keep the pointless posts to yourself.
MT
Michael_Tissington
Oct 26, 2008
It might not be anything to do with spelling … have you looked to see if it changes paper size or ruler measurments ?
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 27, 2008
They are set independently.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections