Posted By
Jacqueline Johnson
Sep 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone Help?
I use the polygonal Lasso frequently. I find it a wonderful tool. This morning when using it, I encountered a problem. The tool helps you move the image around so you can continue. I cannot get the polygonal to move the screen to the left of any area I’m on. Yesterday it worked, today it will not. I’ve closed out of the program several times and have restarted at least twice.
I’m using PS6. Does anyone know whats happening.

Thank you
Jacqueline

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JM
John Mensinger
Sep 15, 2003
Jacqueline,

I’m not sure what you mean by "this tool helps you move the image around…" but if your next polygonal lasso click is to be in an area that is currently outside the image window, just hold down the space bar to temporarily switch to the hand tool…pan the image to the desired area and release. Now you’ll be back to the lasso and ready to continue.

John
JJ
Jacqueline Johnson
Sep 15, 2003
Thank You, John
When I’m isolating elements of an image, I’m working at 300%. This makes everything big and I can have a good definition of the element. Normally when in that close, the Tool will move the image around in any direction I need to complete the selection. Currently the tool will move the image up, down and to the right but it will not move the image to the left. It has moved it in the past and I’m wondering whats happened to the program, or to something I’ve inadvertently done to the program, that is causing this behavior to occur now. Its most frustrating to get to a point where it has to move but it won’t. Its like hitting a brick wall.
I shall try your solution and see if that works.
If my explanation is a little clearer, and you have any ideas, Please let me know. Thank you
Jacqueline
P
Phosphor
Sep 15, 2003
You could try resetting your preferences (as per the procedure in the FAQ). I’m not sure whether it’ll do any good in that case but it sorts out all sorts of Photoshop irregularities 🙂
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Sep 15, 2003
Jacqueline,

John’s solution should take care of you, but just not as easily as if your polygonal lasso was working properly. I was inclined to think toggling to the hand tool is the best way to handle selection of areas outside your visible workspace, but given how the polygonal lasso doesn’t create a new point until you click at the desired spot, the hand tool shouldn’t be needed. Instead, the polygonal lasso effectively has a "built-in" hand tool. Helen’s suggestion of resetting your preferences may indeed fix this problem as it does other "Photoshop irregularities".

John, what Jacqueline was describing is that as you bump the cursor against any image window border, the image will automatically pan to any part of the image beyond the border. I’ve recently noticed that some selection tools do that, but not all. The lasso is a good example of one that doesn’t, but I’d say that makes sense since anywhere the cursor moves, an actual selection border is being drawn. For selection tools that don’t create or add to the selection boundary until a left-click or release is performed, I suspect they all will provide a built-in image panning.

Regards,

Daryl
JJ
Jacqueline Johnson
Sep 16, 2003
I’d like to thank you guys so much for responding to my plea.

John your solution is elegant, and if I didn’t know the ‘bump’ way was the correct one for the ‘Polygonal’, I’d naturally be inclined to use it. It certainly helps one proceed with the work when pressed.

Unfortunately the inability to use the ‘bump’ indicates that there seems to be a problem with the program. I would do as Joan suggests but I cannot, for the life of me, locate those FAQ’s. If any of you can point me to them I be very happy to try that solution.

Daryl, Thank you for the interpretation. Although I’ve used Photoshop for quite awhile, I’d guess I’m more of a ‘visual’ person and explaining what I’m doing, in a state of frustration and panic, is not my Forte.

I want to say that over the years I’ve had very few problems with the program and hope I am not entering another phase of my relationship with it. I will say that I’ve had more problems since I’ve started using a Wacom tablet. Any one have any thoughts on that?

thank you
Jacqueline
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 16, 2003
Jacq,

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 1:04pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

Fwiw, I ALWAYS use the space bar to help move the image around. Sometimes "bumping" causes the screen to move wildly too far.

<shrug>
JJ
Jacqueline Johnson
Sep 16, 2003

T.Y.YrbkMgr
I know what you mean about the ‘wildly’ bit, but sometimes one needs a bit of that action….LOL

Thanks for the link

Jacqueline or
as a friend of mine says…..JaCleen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections