Oct 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is anybody using Focus Magic or PhotoKit Sharpener with CS4

Paul

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 21, 2008
I will be in a couple of days. What is the problem?

Rob
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 21, 2008
No problem, I was curious to know if I would be able to use them when I install CS4. They are both necessary to my workflow and If I wasn’t able to use them, then I won’t install CS4 yet.

Paul
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 21, 2008
Most (if not all) 32-bit plugins will work fine with Photoshop CS4 x32-bit. If you plan on using the 64-bit version, then you will have to wait until the 3rd party manufacturers release 64-bit versions of their plugins. 32-bit plugins will not work on the 64-bit version.

If you have 32-bit plugins that you need for your workflow, install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of PS CS4 (they are both on your installation DVD).
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 21, 2008
Of course the 32bit version is installed as well by default.
P
Phosphor
Oct 21, 2008
And of course there’s nothing stopping you from keeping an older version of PS on your hard drive after installing the new version.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 21, 2008
!!!

hi carol! 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 21, 2008
Welcome back, Carol!

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 21, 2008
Memories of Compuserve!
RS
Robert_Shomler
Oct 21, 2008
Focus Magic works on my cs4 (32-bit).
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 21, 2008
Thank you to everyone for your replies

Paul
ND
Nick_Decker
Oct 21, 2008
Paul, if you run into problems, see the following:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6cf04>

Also, there’s more background in the thread that I linked to in that topic.
CH
CR_Henderson
Oct 21, 2008
Paul Budzik:Is anybody using Focus Magic or PhotoKit Sharpener with CS4

I’m using the following with Photoshop CS4-32 bit on a Vista Ultimate 64 PC without any of the problems mentioned in the referenced thread.

Focus Magic
PK Sharpener
Noiseware Pro
RealGrain
Portraiture

Focus Magic Support said "You’re one of the few who have it working. For the majority of Vista 64-bit users, Focus Magic will not work."

I did try Fluid Mask 3 (trial) and deleted it from my system because it caused PS CS4-32 to crash. Upon re-execution PS CS4-32 said I didn’t have a supportable video card (not true as I have a nVidia 9800 GTX+). A reboot solved the problem.

I wonder if something in the video system or how it’s used by PS CS4 may be contributing to the problems seen. Many, if not most, of those reporting problems with layers, menus, etc. have reported having older video cards–I’ve seen a lot of nVidia 7600’s, 7300’s, 6600’s, etc. listed as being used in many of those reports.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 23, 2008
Just got PS CS4 and installed. No problems with PK Sharpener nor with Focus Magic.

XP pro 32

Rob
CH
CR_Henderson
Oct 23, 2008
CR Henderson (me) previously said: I did try Fluid Mask 3 (trial) and deleted it from my system because it caused PS CS4-32 to crash. Upon re-execution PS CS4-32 said I didn’t have a supportable video card (not true as I have a nVidia 9800 GTX+). A reboot solved the problem.

Actually, it wasn’t the re-boot that ‘fixed’ it. The problem survived a re-boot. Upon a reboot and a re-start of PS CS4 32 the program still complained that it couldn’t find an OpenGL display card. It was going into Edit->Preferences->Performance and re-enabling OpenGL Drawing and then exiting and restarting the program that allowed PS CS4 32 to again work with the OpenGL features.

So I would say Fluid Mask 3 is currently unusable with Photoshop CS4 32 on a Vista Ultimate 64 PC.
CH
CR_Henderson
Nov 5, 2008
previously I said:So I would say Fluid Mask 3 is currently unusable with Photoshop CS4 32 on a Vista Ultimate 64 PC.

I reported the crashing problem to Vertus and they sent me a link to a newer version. I installed that and had the same crashes with the updated version.

I also tested FM3 with Photoshop CS3 on the same system and it crashed with PS CS3, too, but not in the OpenGL module, it crashed with an access violation error in the FM3 module. I sent all of the crashlogs off to Vertus support but so far have not heard from them. Since the trial version has now expired it is likely I won’t be doing any further testing of FM3.

It is interesting to note that FM3 was the only program/plugin that routinely crashed in Photoshop CS3 and CS4 32 bit. I have never had a crash with Focus Magic, PhotoKit Sharpener, or the Imagenomic bundle on either PS CS3 or PS CS4 32 bit.
CH
CR_Henderson
Feb 20, 2009
UPDATE2

I was going over some old notes. Vertus requested a few log files from me and other system related information. I sent them everything they asked for but I never heard anything at all from Vertus after I sent them the requested information.

In looking at the Fluid Mask 3 web site today I didn’t see a reference to Photoshop CS4 anywhere on the site.

The PhotoKit Sharpener Beta for 64 bit PS CS4 works fine on my system.

The 64 bit version of Imagenomics’s Portrature 2 works fine with one small bug–the top part of the Arrange Documents drop down list is blank until one executes File->Automate->Imagenomic Plug-in Console. Imagenomic is aware of the issue.
B
Buko
Feb 21, 2009
Hi Carol!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections