M
Posted By
mmaz
Oct 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are running CS3 Design Premium Suite on Windows XP SP3 systems with 2 GB Ram, 512 MB NVidia (supported) video cards, 500 Watt power supplies, 150 GB hard drives split between a 120 C: and 30 D:, and are continuing to get a series of freeze up and performance issues. I have gone through all of the optimization steps in Adobe KB401088 for optimizing performance.

The most common issues that we are experiencing are:

Photoshop stops responding on the initial execution, but works fine after restarting the PC.

Photoshop opens fine but freezes the system when various tools are selected, including type, layer, and duplicate.

Numerous freezes when trying to add new layers to images.

Photoshop will work fine for a day or day and a half, then will suddenly do any variation of what is listed above for a few days no matter how many restarts are done on the PC. Continuous restarts are as much of a productivity loss to fix our problems as the problems are in the first place.

I have gone all over the internet looking for solutions to these issues and can’t find anything. We have upped the cache and memory allocations for Photoshop which in the short term makes my users happy but the issues end up coming back. What other options do I have other than downgrading my CS3 software from Design Premium to a different edition or testing the performance on a Vista computer?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JT
John_T_Smith
Oct 8, 2008
It MAY be that Adobe software slowness problems are caused by having a network printer as default… with the cure being to always have a local printer as a default (you don’t have to USE it, just have it set to local as default) and this may be accomplished by using an Adobe Generic Printer Driver < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=p drv&platform=win>
M
mmaz
Oct 9, 2008
We have done the printer thing as well now and one of the computers is working fine but the other one is still freezing up whenever Photoshop is trying to open. I found somewhere else that the addition of different fonts can possible cause this issue, does that make any sense. Just wondering before I decide to try comparing the thousands that they have installed.
JT
John_T_Smith
Oct 9, 2008
A corrupted font will certainly cause problems… since I don’t have all that many fonts installed, I don’t know much about the effect of "thousands" of fonts on performance

I have read (could have even been in this forum) that using a font manager to dynamically load needed fonts may be a good idea
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 9, 2008
Just one bad font can affect the performance of Photoshop. And finding out which one is the bad one can be extremely time consuming.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections