JT
Posted By
Jean_Terman
Sep 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I found just the brushes I was looking for in the exchange tonight but they are for photoshop version 7.x. I cannot get my photoshop cs3 product to recognize them. If anyone knows how to make this work, I would really appreciate it. Really. Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Sep 30, 2008
RAR is a compression format like ZIP.

You have to unzip them. Free tools like WinRAR are available.

Google it for a free download near you. 🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 30, 2008
* .rar indicates that it’s a compressed archive, similar to a compressed archive format like *.zip.

You’ll need to expand the .rar archive first, then you’ll see the .abr brushes file.

Have you tried double-clicking on the file while it’s sitting on your desktop? A windows OS-native utility should expand it. If not, the utility at the following link should do it:

<http://www.izarc.org/>
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 30, 2008
Nothing in XP would do it. I downloaded WinRAR.
JT
Jean_Terman
Sep 30, 2008
Thank you both! I thought I had tried everything but I didn’t even think to see if that was a compressed format. Sitting here feeling a little less smart… 😉 Downloading WINRAR now. Thanks again!
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 30, 2008
🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 30, 2008
WinRAR’s common and trusted, and costs money.

IZArc’s less well-known, but opens more formats and is free (as in DonationWare).

Hmm…
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 30, 2008
i’ve been meaning to ask… what the heck is that thing anyway phos? a smiley licking it’s eyeball or what?
P
Phosphor
Sep 30, 2008
It’s the Favicon I created for my usually neglected SparkBox <http://sparkbox.blogspot.com> blog.

Smiling YinYang emoticon/bullet/general purpose happy fun smiley!

It was tougher to create—cleanly and at such a small size—than I originally imagined it might be when I first conceived it.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 30, 2008
Sorry to corect you Phos.

WinRar is FREE for a given number of uses. Then it stops working.

..RAR files are so RARe I never reached the limit.

Geddit? RAR – RARe? Oh well. 🙁
P
Phosphor
Sep 30, 2008
" Sorry to corect you Phos. "

No worries…I just looked at the licensing page and saw US$29 for a single user license. Just like Stuffit, and QuickTime, the "free" qualities are made a little tougher to find out about, for some reason.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Sep 30, 2008
7-zip is free and nice.
P
Phosphor
Sep 30, 2008
".RAR files are so RARe I never reached the limit. "

Depends where you soil your online boots.

In some regions of the ‘tubes, .rar is extremely common. That "works-for-awhile-then-it-doesn’t" thing might prove to be a little annoying.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 30, 2008
So you see what a clean-living boy I am! 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections