Posted By
Jacob_N_Deuchar
Sep 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m having issues opening JPEG files with a large pixel size. I’m using Photoshop CS3 Extended under Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, I have 4GB RAM (So just over 3GB effective in XP) and an AMD Athlon 6x X2 4200 Dual-CPU. My page file is set to 8GB! Photoshop is set to use up to 80% of my RAM

The issue relates to all large images I try to open, but the example I am going to use as an example regards a stitched panorama with pixel dimensions of 38,156 x 2,207. I know that is huge for most people.

When trying to open the image in Photoshop i get the following message:

"Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data"

I think the issue relates to the size of the image, but it opens fine in windows picture and fax viewer, and also in Paintshop Pro X2 (Though in PSP X2 i can only modify the first 24,000 pixels accross before it refuses to do anything else)

Why can’t photoshop open the images, i would reduce their size, but i need them for a room-sized display (Some 20 feet long) so i can’t reduce the image size without losing quality when they are printed. On the other hand i can’t print them until i correct some image/colour issues with photoshop. So any help will be appreciated

Cheers

Jacob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 26, 2008
There could be a limitation in pixel dimensions that is causing the problem. PSD format can only accept 30,000 pixels in either direction. Jpg’s larger than that may not open.

(There is also now a PSB format that allows 300,000 pixels, but it is not well supported by printer drivers, etc. You want to test it with your application needs before committing a lot of time to it.)

Can you trim your jpg to 30000 pixels? That might eliminate the problem.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 26, 2008
I’m sitting at CS2 now which only allows saving to PSB, RAW and TIF for that image size. Does CS3 save a JPG file that large (or did you stitch the panorama in another app? If CS3 introduced this ability only recently, it may indicate why there could be a bug in reopening the same file.

A LZW or ZIP compressed TIF may suit your needs as well as the JPG.
JN
Jacob_N_Deuchar
Sep 27, 2008
Hi thanks for the replies, CS3 will seemingly save the entire image when it stitches it all together, the problem occurs when trying to re-open it. I know it saves all 38,000 pixels because of being able to open it in Windows Picture & Fax viewer, but photoshop will never open it again.

To answer Don’s question, i can’t actually get the image open to trim it to 30,000 pixels, but even if i open it in PSP X2 and lose it all the way back to 24,000 pixels, the most PSP will modify the image too, photoshop still wont open it, which i dont understand because photoshop was quite happy to save the 38,000 pixels in the first place. Unless there’s a cap on opening files and not on saving them???

Unfortunately, reducing the size isn’t really feasable as metioned in my first post, mainly because as the image is ~38,000 by only 2,000 pixels, if i reduce the horizontal value by only a couple of thousand i lose much of the vertical information and therefore a massive amount of image quality when i come to print, and as the panoramas will be over 10 feet in length i really can’t risk that.

Another interesting note, photoshop CS3 hasn’t actually opened any image above ~18,000 pixels horizontally that i’ve found to date, but will always save images with no apparent cap of pixel dimensions (except a huge amount of time to save, it took 18 hours to stitch each panorama)

Cheers

Jacob
M
Mylenium
Sep 29, 2008
There’s surely a memory limit somewhere, since PS itself does not offer JPEG saving beyond 30000 pixels….

Mylenium
JN
Jacob_N_Deuchar
Sep 29, 2008
Agreed, I’m not sure where though, it’s strange that it saves the 38,000 pixels by 2,000 pixel image after stitching but refuses to open it again afterwards. Especially seen as the Windows Picture and Fax viewer will open it quite happily… If anything was to be capped i thought it would be the Windows product…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections