JP
Posted By
John_P._Roberts
Sep 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I would be grateful for any help regarding the installation of Photoshop CS3 on my Windows XP PC. I have managed to install the program on my laptop without too much trouble but at a loss with my PC. When I start the installation process the small Adobe Setup window appears (with the file floating between the two folders) on completion, when I expect the installation process to begin fully, nothing happens. All installation stops ! I have searched to see if there is any other record of this happening to anyone else. I have checked the disk on my laptop and it appears OK.

Any help will be most gratefully received

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Sep 26, 2008
update flash and try again.

if that doesn’t work, try updating the windows installer (microsoft.com downloads area)

I have searched to see if there is any other record of this happening to anyone else.

there are hundreds in this forum.
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 26, 2008
Hi Dave, Thanks for your response, I have tried the two suggestions but there is no improvement with the problem.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 26, 2008
try this john:

Open a command prompt, navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and type in regsvr32 jscript.dll and press ENTER

then try to install again
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 26, 2008
Hi Dave, Thanks again but still no joy !
A
Ardeekaye
Sep 27, 2008
I had the same problem you did. This is what fixed it for me. Adobe CS3Clean Script. I’m not a computer geek so just try what I did. Go to the home page of adobe.com and type in, Adobe CS3Clean Script in the search box in the upper right corner of the home page. Before you finish typing it the phrase should appear right below where you’re typing. Click on it and you will go the the page that explains what to do. I also had to download the windows installer cleanup utility but following the instructions given on the Adobe CS3Clean Script page will let you know whether you need it or not. Just be sure to read everything carefully. I hope this helps.
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 28, 2008
Ardeekaye – many thanks for your input but nothing seems to be working at the moment. I have downloaded Clean Script but there are no other Adobe programs on my computer other than Flash. I didn’t load a trial or beta version of CS3, for which most people seem to use Clean Script to get rid of. I have also uploaded Windows Install but the screen remains blank after the setup window finishes. Thanks again for your suggestions and help.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 28, 2008
try removing flash and re-running clean script. there are different levels i understand, never having run it myself. i think the undocumented level "4" is like a "nuke it all" key…
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 28, 2008
also try running setup in safe mode (f8 at xp startup). make sure anti virus is off.
A
Ardeekaye
Sep 28, 2008
I forgot to mention that I had my virus protection turned off and I was disconnected from the internet when I was installing CS3. Sometimes a virus program thinks your computer is being invaded when you do some installations.
K
kingfire
Sep 29, 2008
I currently have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. and I tried everything people told you to do. still no joy.
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 29, 2008
Hi Kingfire, I haven’t cracked it yet but still frantically working on it. My mate had the same problem but on Vista and the regsvr32 jscript.dll command prompt woked for him. I’ll come back as and when I get it sorted !!
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 29, 2008
Although not solved I am a bit further along the line ! I actually got the Photoshop CS3 Installer to run its full course but it finished by stating :

Installation complete :-
Some problems occured during installation :-
Summary:-
Successfully installed 1 component
(Tick) Shared components

Errors: 2 components
+Adobe Photoshop CS3
Component Installed failed

+Shared
Component Installed failed

There are no more specific details than above and this is the point I got to on the first time I tried to install CS3 before I created more problems for myself.

I managed to get the Installer working after I used Revo Cleaner Uninstaller to get rid of any left over Adobe files. This is the first time I’ve manage to get the CS3 installer working so now I need to find out how to overcome the above errors.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 29, 2008
I could swear the failed component error was related to flash… anyone else remember what the deal was when we had a spate of these right after cs3 was released?

I managed to get the Installer working after I used Revo Cleaner Uninstaller to get rid of any left over Adobe files. This is the first time I’ve manage to get the CS3 installer working so now I need to find out how to overcome the above errors.

run that again, then try running the adobe clean script again and see if it works now.
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 29, 2008
Hi Dave, thanks again for advice. I’m fairly close to sorting it as it did manage to load BridgeCS3 in may last attempt, but I’m still getting the same error messages. If I start by using windows install clean up, should I try and get rid of all adobe applications before I run Revo and then adobe clean up script. Thanks again.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 30, 2008
, should I try and get rid of all adobe applications before I run Revo and then adobe clean up script.

I think that’d be a good thing to do, since you’re getting this far now.
K
kingfire
Sep 30, 2008
I only have flash and I completely removed it from my system. I paid hundreds of my own money for this piece of garbage and I can’t even INSTALL THE DAMN THING! fuck adobe. I mean, what was wrong with CS2’s installer? it worked like a charm and looked very simple as any other application and the most important thing IT ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME!!. but with CS3, they made a completelyy new installer with a retard look that takes for ever to install or in my case, doesn’t START AT ALL!.

I’ve re-formated my system many times. no joy.

I’m tired of this shit, I gotta work to do and hungrycustomerss to feed. and this small-yet-big problem stops me.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 30, 2008
You can go back to CS2 for your work.

In the mean time check out this forum for all the possibilities there are to achieve an installation. From memory I can think of at least half a dozen.

Also installation support is free from Adobe for legitimate software.

Adobe admits the current installer is a piece of ****. (That doesn’t help you though!)
K
kingfire
Sep 30, 2008
^^I’ve just done that. installed CS2.
I searched the forum, found nothing.

I called adobe for support, found some laughable answers.

Adobe admits the current installer is a piece of shit!?
will they fix it?
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 30, 2008
will they fix it?

yes, in cs4, apparently. 🙂 you have free support until it’s installed, kingfire. i’d call back until you get an idea that works.
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 30, 2008
I got as far as this guy and have tried all his solutions but I still can’t install it.

<http://www.peeniewallie.com/2008/05/adobe_photoshop_2.html>

Like Kingfire, I have reapeatedly tried all suggestions and nothing works. I go all through the install stages just to get the error messages. It is taking so much of my time but I’m detirmined to crack it !!
JP
John_P._Roberts
Sep 30, 2008
Dave, can you tell me how you navigate to Windows\System32 just so I can be sure I have being doing it correctly !!!

Thanks,

John
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 30, 2008
windows explorer. c:\windows\system32? not sure what else you mean john. dave
JP
John_P._Roberts
Oct 1, 2008
I’m not sure about the process after opening a command prompt to then navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and type in regsvr32 jscript.dll and press ENTER. No problem opening the command prompt but my knowledge of MS dos is not particulary good. I have tried this solution but I don’t think I have done it correctly and it may be the the one thing that solves the problem. Thanks John
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 1, 2008
oh. click start> run. type cmd and hit enter.

then (assuming your system’s windows folder is WINDOWS not something like WINXP)

type:
C:\windows\system32\regsvr32 jscript.dll

and hit enter.

if the folder name’s "winxp", type:
C:\winxp\system32\regsvr32 jscript.dll

and hit enter.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 1, 2008
I thought it worked from the Run box in the Start menu.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 2, 2008
ok, that too. 🙂
JP
John_P._Roberts
Oct 6, 2008
Still plodding on but no luck as yet, gone through all the previous proceses and even did a registry clean up, but all to no avail. The installer goes through the whole install process only to declare ERRORS: 2 Components.

It does install Adobe Bridge CS3 which appears to work perfectly along with Adobe device central CS3, Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2 and Adobe Stock Photos CS3 (Which apparently does not exist anymore)
JC
Joel_Castillo
Oct 7, 2008
John,

It seems you’ve tried almost everything with no success. How about trying out the technique for customizing cs3 installation (i.e. you can choose the components to install).

< http://www.ilemoned.com/archives/customizing-adobe-cs3-insta llation>

Give it a try, couldn’t hurt.

Joel
JP
John_P._Roberts
Oct 7, 2008
Joel,

Many thanks for your suggestion but still no success. I first of all moved the file to the adobe file on the disk but all it really wanted to do was copy it to the disk. Then I copied the adobe file to the desktop and moved the file from ilemoned there. But nothing seems to work. I don’t understand why adobe can’t say what the conflict is is these particular circumstances.

Many thanks for you input.

John
S
Stan
Oct 8, 2008
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:20:23 -0700,
wrote:

I don’t understand why adobe can’t say what the conflict is is these particular circumstances.

Ever since the CS3 fiasco arrived on the scene, this has been the norm… Problem Installation. I never got the silly thing to install on either of my clean, problem free XP machines but never had a problem with CS2. Some guy at Adobe told me over the Installation help Line that he thinks the problem is all the silly code they put in CS3 to try and catch piracy. He said Like with M$, they have bloated their code with routines to catch pirates which makes the application problematic for Honest paying customers. He said that all the software drones upstairs could do was scratch their heads as they had no earthly idea.

I believe him as I had problems with M$’s silly assed WGA malware they installed on my computer that refused to let me do updates to my Store Bought copy of XP because it said I was a thief.

Anyway,I stopped payment on my credit card for the purchase and let the retailer deal with silly assed adobe about getting their money if they want it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections