N
Posted By
Nicko
Sep 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When starting Photoshop CS3, I can get all the way to the "Initializing shared components" message before the program crashes and has to close. It does this during every start-up. The only major changes I made before the problem began was I uninstalled a Microsoft Office trial version, and also installed Vista Service Pack 1. Does anyone know of a way to fix it?

System details:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (32 bit) 1GB RAM
Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended V.10.0

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Sep 24, 2008
Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1>

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.
N
Nicko
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks for the reply John. I tried what you suggested and it still isn’t working correctly. I also just updated to version 10.0.1 but to no avail.
F
Freeagent
Sep 24, 2008
My first guess would also be the prefs, but the second would be the Vista service pack. It uninstalls a lot of stuff during the update and then puts it back in.

The advice from Microsoft if you see problems is to uninstall and reinstall the problematic component. So in your case I suppose that means reinstall Photoshop. Give the prefs another shot on first launch.

And BTW, 1 GB RAM is barely enough to run Vista these days, let alone Vista + Photoshop. Get more, at least 1, preferably 3 more. It’s cheap.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections