Posted By
ellen_devito
Sep 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi-

I have huge files that are painfully slow to work with -ie 15,000 by 10,000 pixels, 1 – 1.5GB in size. I have the 32bit version of Vista, 4gb ram.

If I upgraded to 8gb ram, would it really be worth it? I know the faq says that PS can somehow utilize this extra ram, but would PS be "as snappy" as when it has enough ram in the first place? If actions that take 15 minutes with these files would only take as long as the ones with my 600MB files, then I would do probably it. Do u think this would this be a major performance upgrade or just a tiny one?

your thoughts greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

F
Freeagent
Sep 15, 2008
4 gigabytes of address space is an absolute limit in a 32-bit OS. You need to move up to 64-bit Vista to use 8gb (or more) ram.

That said, it’s perfectly possible to work with those file sizes on 4 gb ram. But it’s extremely important in that case to have a separate, dedicated drive for Photoshop scratch, preferably 2 drives set up as RAID 0.
CF
chris_farrell
Sep 15, 2008
Go with x64 vista first then try the file again ( in a 64 bit environment you can set PS to use just over 3gb ) then if you need more RAM then get 8GB.

But, like Freeagent said, x64 bit is the only way you will be able to use 8gb.

I work with massive files ( 45000 x 12000 pixels @250ppi ) and I need 16gb to keep things in check…..with vista ( search index, prefetch/superfetch etc disabled), photoshop and the image loaded, Vista will take up 12-14gb of RAM.

So the more ram the better IMO.

You will see improvements in performance with 8gb in PS. One thing I have noticed since upgrading to 16gb is that save times are dramatically faster – what would normally take 15 mins to save now takes between 2 to 5 mins.

Even with 16gb PS still goes to the scratch disk so a fast dedicated disk ( pref Raid 0 or 10k / 15k drive) is good advice.
F
Freeagent
Sep 15, 2008
Chris, just a suggestion:

prefetch/superfetch etc disabled

Try enabling it again and see how it works out. There’s some very smart caching going on there, saving you a lot of time, and if that RAM is needed elsewhere it’s immediately released. When the caching is at its most effective, you should have only a couple of MB’s free RAM.

BTW, is that the Asus P5Q Premium you have there, with 16 GB?
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 15, 2008
So with 8GB on Vista 64, what % do you allocate PS in the preferences?
F
Freeagent
Sep 15, 2008
In theory, 100% should be safe. I chickened out and stopped at 95…haven’t had any problems with that.

With the new 64-bit Photoshop I guess around 6 GB or 75 % will be a good starting point.

EDIT: …depending, of course. With heavy multitasking (PS/AI/ID/Bridge/Firefox etc) it might be a good idea to back down a little. Also remember, running huge files through ACR will come on top.
CF
chris_farrell
Sep 15, 2008
Hi Freeagent,

I will try that suggestion with the superfetch and monitor progress now I have 16gb – I disabled it as I noticed it was caching a lot of my large format files 2-4GB’s which resulted in a lot of read and writes when I was using Photoshop.

I just thought the RAM and hard drive access would be better served doing the job in hand and not loading stuff in case I needed it.

Also, Sometimes Vista does use up all the RAM especially when I needed to load two files then it shows 10 to 0 mb free.

Also, I have the Asus P5Q deluxe – It’s a really nice board and 4 x 4gb OCZ vista memory sticks. Sweet!

PS at 100% – did this even with 8GB and it was fine.
F
Freeagent
Sep 15, 2008
Chris,

P5Q Deluxe, of course. I want one, too…except the upcoming CS4 upgrade will wipe me out for a while (European price). Even if only the Design Standard suite. I shudder when I think of what the Master Collection crowd will have to part with just to stay current…

The Vista caching is wonderful. 0 MB free RAM is what you want.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 16, 2008
Also, Sometimes Vista does use up all the RAM especially when I needed to load two files then it shows 10 to 0 mb free.

No it doesn’t…it just tells you it does.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections