Illustrator and Photoshop for creating web banners?

LC
Posted By
Leslie_C_Herrera
Sep 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My company for years has worked with print products. We recently started creating web banners. We use Illustrator for the layout for print and Photoshop for the layout of web products. I have artists who dont see the difference between the two. They want to continue to create web banners in Illustrator. Or they want to export the Illustrator file into Photoshop with the layers. But, to export it this way it has to be cmyk. ugghhh. Can somebody please give me valuable reasons on what application is best and why? I understand one is vector and one is raster. But if you are using type and photos in the banner, which one is the best? Thank you very much!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

F
Freeagent
Sep 4, 2008
It’s quite simple really.

Illustrator = vector and type

Photoshop = raster

Each application will open each others’ files, except Photoshop will only open Illustrator files as PDF’s.

BTW, there’s nothing stopping Illustrator from working in RGB.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 4, 2008
Both apps offer animation capabilities and the ‘save for web’ feature (which eliminates any concern about CMYK art).

When you say the artists do not see the difference between the two, it seems to indicate that they are enlightened enough to realize that there is not a huge difference between the two. But when you say art has to be CMYK, the artists may need some training.
W
Waksss
Sep 4, 2008
On Sep 4, 8:47 am, wrote:
Both apps offer animation capabilities and the ‘save for web’ feature (which eliminates any concern about CMYK art).

When you say the artists do not see the difference between the two, it seems to indicate that they are enlightened enough to realize that there is not a huge difference between the two. But when you say art has to be CMYK, the artists may need some training.

What animation capabilities are you referring to with Illustrator? The ability to export SWF?

Over the years the two applications are getting closer and closer in their abilities.. but still, what everyone says is true:

Illustrator for vectors and type.. Photoshop for raster editing.

I jump between the programs for print and web. I might prep images in Photoshop.. bring them into AI for layout with text and geometric graphics.. then I might bring the whole thing back into Photoshop for further effects like drop shadows.. but only because i like to create my own kind of custom drop shadows.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections