Posted By
Toby
Oct 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I recently scanned a bunch of B&W negs at full resolution w/ Nikon 4000 scanner (in grayscale), which gives ~20 Mb files. I’m trying to do some "Curves" corrections. I create the control points I need and drag them around and the image reflects the changes made, as it should.

So far so good, but here it gets weird. when I click "Save" the final saved image is not the image as previewed; there is some change but never as extreme as what I set up. This is driving me nuts. I’ve tried this on three different computers so it seems not to be a function of a corrupted file or a ghost in the machine. If I reduce the file size Curves works just fine, but at some point (as yet undetermined) over a couple of Megs this funky behavior starts happening.

As an experiment I also tried converting to RGB color (~60 Mb), since I have not been working much in grayscale up until now. The same problem persists. I have not had occasion to make major Curves corrections to large files before now so I am unsure whether this problem has always persisted. I’m tempted to reinstall PS 6, just to see if the same thing happens.

Here’s one clue, maybe, but I can’t figure out what difference it would make. This problem seems more pronounced when I am working with images scanned with Silverfast 6.0, with the autosharpening and "Negafix" functions active. I just tried with an image scanned with Nikonscan 3.12. There is still a slight reduction in the "Curves" effect of the saved image vis-a-vis the preview, but nowhere near as drastic as that with the files scanned with Silverfast.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening, or how to solve the problem? I suppose I could work with Contrast and Levels, but that would be a sorry and miserable workaround.

TIA

Toby

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Oct 21, 2003
Toby wrote:
Hi all,

I recently scanned a bunch of B&W negs at full resolution w/ Nikon 4000 scanner (in grayscale), which gives ~20 Mb files. I’m trying to do some "Curves" corrections. I create the control points I need and drag them around and the image reflects the changes made, as it should.

So far so good, but here it gets weird. when I click "Save" the final saved image is not the image as previewed; there is some change but never as extreme as what I set up. This is driving me nuts. I’ve tried this on three different computers so it seems not to be a function of a corrupted file or a ghost in the machine. If I reduce the file size Curves works just fine, but at some point (as yet undetermined) over a couple of Megs this funky behavior starts happening.

As an experiment I also tried converting to RGB color (~60 Mb), since I have not been working much in grayscale up until now. The same problem persists. I have not had occasion to make major Curves corrections to large files before now so I am unsure whether this problem has always persisted. I’m tempted to reinstall PS 6, just to see if the same thing happens.

Here’s one clue, maybe, but I can’t figure out what difference it would make. This problem seems more pronounced when I am working with images scanned with Silverfast 6.0, with the autosharpening and "Negafix" functions active. I just tried with an image scanned with Nikonscan 3.12. There is still a slight reduction in the "Curves" effect of the saved image vis-a-vis the preview, but nowhere near as drastic as that with the files scanned with Silverfast.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening, or how to solve the problem? I suppose I could work with Contrast and Levels, but that would be a sorry and miserable workaround.

Toby,

I just tried this with a 5K square 8 bit grayscale image saved and loaded as a tiff with no problems. Anymore, 25 megapixels is not really that large a file, so I suspect it’s something with your install, setup options, or your OS.

Does the problem show up with an artificial image, such as a neutral gradient, or just scanned files? Is this an overall brightness problem, affecting all channels, or do you lose adjustments to individual channels as well?

Are your files being delivered to Photoshop via a plugin interface, or are you saving them externally before editing them? This might help isolate the problem, and may even yield a temporary fix.

Here’s an experiment: drop a sample point on an affected area and see how much the value actually changes after you save and load. Perhaps you have an extremely dark or light screen background, and the image only appears to change.

Are you using a custom profile? Perhaps the profile is not being embedded correctly by Silverfast for large files.

Best of luck.

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net
F
Flycaster
Oct 21, 2003
"Toby" wrote in message
Hi all,

So far so good, but here it gets weird. when I click "Save" the final
saved
image is not the image as previewed; there is some change but never as extreme as what I set up. This is driving me nuts. I’ve tried this on
three
different computers so it seems not to be a function of a corrupted file
or
a ghost in the machine. If I reduce the file size Curves works just fine, but at some point (as yet undetermined) over a couple of Megs this funky behavior starts happening.

As an experiment I also tried converting to RGB color (~60 Mb), since I
have
not been working much in grayscale up until now. The same problem
persists.
I have not had occasion to make major Curves corrections to large files before now so I am unsure whether this problem has always persisted. I’m tempted to reinstall PS 6, just to see if the same thing happens.
Here’s one clue, maybe, but I can’t figure out what difference it would make. This problem seems more pronounced when I am working with images scanned with Silverfast 6.0, with the autosharpening and "Negafix"
functions
active. I just tried with an image scanned with Nikonscan 3.12. There is still a slight reduction in the "Curves" effect of the saved image
vis-a-vis
the preview, but nowhere near as drastic as that with the files scanned
with
Silverfast.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening, or how to solve the problem? I suppose I could work with Contrast and Levels, but that would
be
a sorry and miserable workaround.

The file size is not the problem. Just for kicks, trash your Prefs (.psp) file, rebuild, and see what happens – a corrupt Prefs file is the cause for a *lot* of erratic behavior, but this is one I haven’t encountered.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
L
Litron
Oct 21, 2003
"Toby" wrote in message
Hi all,
—————————————–
Just curious, are you saving the images directly to HDD before loading them into PhotoShop (if so, what file format?), or does your scanner export the "scanned"-image directly into PhotoShop for editing?
T
Toby
Oct 22, 2003
Thanks to all for their suggestions, which I will try ASAP. FYI Silverfast exports directly into Photoshop, but the probelm I am encountering happens with files saved to HDD as .psd files. I have not checked whether it happens with the images before they are saved to disk, although I guess that it would be the same.

Toby

"Litron" wrote in message
"Toby" wrote in message
Hi all,
—————————————–
Just curious, are you saving the images directly to HDD before loading
them
into PhotoShop (if so, what file format?), or does your scanner export
the
"scanned"-image directly into PhotoShop for editing?
T
Toby
Oct 23, 2003
Many thanks to all who made suggestions. I zoomed up to 100% and found that indeed the problem rested in the fact that a reduced image "overstated" the case. At full size the preview and final result are identical. This means that unfortunately I cannot used the image to judge what effect Curves will have, unless I zoom up to 100%, in which case I just see a tiny portion of the full scan. Time for a bigger monitor I guess….

Toby
"Toby" wrote in message
Hi all,

So far so good, but here it gets weird. when I click "Save" the final
saved
image is not the image as previewed; there is some change but never as extreme as what I set up. This is driving me nuts. I’ve tried this on
three
different computers so it seems not to be a function of a corrupted file
or
a ghost in the machine. If I reduce the file size Curves works just fine, but at some point (as yet undetermined) over a couple of Megs this funky behavior starts happening.

As an experiment I also tried converting to RGB color (~60 Mb), since I
have
not been working much in grayscale up until now. The same problem
persists.
I have not had occasion to make major Curves corrections to large files before now so I am unsure whether this problem has always persisted. I’m tempted to reinstall PS 6, just to see if the same thing happens.
Here’s one clue, maybe, but I can’t figure out what difference it would make. This problem seems more pronounced when I am working with images scanned with Silverfast 6.0, with the autosharpening and "Negafix"
functions
active. I just tried with an image scanned with Nikonscan 3.12. There is still a slight reduction in the "Curves" effect of the saved image
vis-a-vis
the preview, but nowhere near as drastic as that with the files scanned
with
Silverfast.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be happening, or how to solve the problem? I suppose I could work with Contrast and Levels, but that would
be
a sorry and miserable workaround.

TIA

Toby

BV
Bart van der Wolf
Oct 23, 2003
"Toby" wrote in message
Many thanks to all who made suggestions. I zoomed up to
100% and found that indeed the problem rested in the fact that a reduced image "overstated" the case. At full size the preview and final result are identical. This means that
unfortunately I cannot used the image to judge what effect Curves will have, unless I zoom up to 100%, in which case I just see a tiny portion of the full scan. Time for a bigger monitor I guess….

I can still operate the slide bars of the image window, with the Curves dialog open.

Bart
PN
Peter Nixon
Oct 23, 2003
"Toby" wrote in message
Hi all,

I reduce the file size Curves works just fine,
but at some point (as yet undetermined) over a couple of Megs this funky behavior starts happening.

How much RAM have you allocated to Photoshop in the Preferences dialogs?

Peter
ME
Mike Engles
Oct 23, 2003
Toby wrote:
Hi all,

TIA

Toby

Hello

The problem is usually caused by excessive noise in the images. You have not by any chance used ICE on monochrome images?

Mike Engles

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections