W
Posted By
WEIRDWOLF
Aug 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a large 300 M layered pdf file that when I attempt to open eventually pops up the "not enough memory (RAM) message.

I am on a windows XP Power Spec computer with 1.97 RAM I have allocated 1106 MB for memory useage, 12 history states and 8 cahce level.

I have a 187 GB Seagate exterior harddrive as my main scratch disk and a mirrored main drive C with 154 GB of free space as my second scratch disk.

I also experience a canvas disapearance occasionally when using the polygonnal lasso tool. I can be clicking along and all of the sudden the image disapears until I click again. Annoying but not unworkable.

Any ideas?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

F
Freeagent
Aug 29, 2008
"Not Enough Memory" usually means there’s not enough free, contiguous and defragmented scratch disk space available.

exterior harddrive as my main scratch disk

If it’s a USB external, that’s too slow. It should be either Firewire 800 or eSATA. But a separate internal SATA drive is the best.

For now, try to defragment your drives and see if that helps.
W
WEIRDWOLF
Aug 29, 2008
I can open psd and other file formats of equal size but not pdf’s. I switched the scratch discs around to see if that helped but still am getting the same issues

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections