Posted By
sallyr
Aug 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I understand Photoshop CS3 can open Illustrator .ai files.

When inside Photoshop, file/open, select .ai file, I get the following message:

"Could not complete your request because the parser module cannot parse the file"

This presents a huge problem because I have original artwork I need to send to the printers, but cannot get into it! It was created by another company on our behalf.

I have downloaded and installed the Camera RAW 4.5 update and it hasn’t helped, the error still occurs.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Many thanks!
Sally

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

F
Freeagent
Aug 28, 2008
Photoshop will open illustrator files, but as .pdf, not directly. On File > Open you should get an "Import PDF" options dialog. You can then open the file in a flattened and rasterized version; no paths, no layers, but with transparency intact.

I take it you don’t have access to Illustrator, but if you do, save it to .pdf there. You could even download the trial version of Illustrator just to do this, if it is critical and urgent.

It could be that a Photoshop preferences reset is all it takes (see FAQ).

And just to have it out of the way – Camera Raw won’t do you any good here. That’s something completely different.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 28, 2008
If the Illustrator file is correctly saved you can "Place" it in Photoshop. It will appear as a Smart Object.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections