Editing Help for a newbie…..Please be gentle..

WC
Posted By
Wes_Chormicle
Aug 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Photoshop CS3, in fact, new to photoshop entirely. I have been using MS Digital Image Pro and up until now it has worked for me.

Here is my problem. I take a lot of pictures of coins. Sometimes I have to tilt the coin slightly to get a good rendition of the color. So at time the image is slightly oval.

I can not figure out how to use a tool to outline the coin, cut it (or copy) and paste to another project. The part that I can’t figure out is adjusting the circle marquee tool to the perimeter of the coin.

Thank you for any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

O
OldBob
Aug 26, 2008
Once you draw the circle, try the various tools under Edit > Transform.
P
Phosphor
Aug 26, 2008
This isn’t an answer (which most of us will be happy to offer here), but an alternative that you may not have thought about. I offer it because it was recommended to me when I was having trouble trying to photograph a coin I found.

But: Have you considered scanning your coins instead of photographing them?

I got really good results <http://sparkbox.blogspot.com/2007/10/time-warp-coin.html> almost immediately, with no fussing about with lighting, or dealing with trying to "un-distort" the coins back to circular shape. The image at the link is a composite of both the reverse and the obverse. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time making an accurate selection around the coin, but I’ll admit I went a little overboard with some of the color/exposure corrections. It took virtually no time at all to get a high-resolution, well lit and focused image to start working with. Looking at the big screen image and comparing it to actually looking at the coin in my hand gives pretty favorable results.

See the following for coin scanning tips:
<http://www.telecoins.com/scanning.html>
<http://dougsmith.ancients.info/scan.html>
CO
Celeste_Orrantia
Aug 26, 2008
Have you tried using guides? Just drag in 4 guides (2 horiz, 2 vert) that surround the coin, then using your elipse tool, start the elipse from the top left corner of the quides and drag out to the bottom right corner. Then you can copy and paste the coin into another document.
WC
Wes_Chormicle
Aug 26, 2008
Hi,
Using the guides worked ok. It just seems like a lot of work to copy the coin image. I would have thought a way would exist to move the marquee easily
Thanks
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 26, 2008
I would have thought a way would exist to move the marquee easily

Control-t.

Then, you can rotate and scale the ellipse marquee shape easily, by dragging out the handles. Or press the control key while grabbing a corner or edge to distort the selection. Or press the control + alt to skew, and control + alt + shift to do simple perspectives.

OldBob had it in post #1.

J
P
Phosphor
Aug 26, 2008
OK, then…so my suggestion about scanning the coins is so worthless to you that it’s not even worth commenting about?

If so, so be it. I don’t necessarily live and die by having my suggestions validated. Acknowledgment is kind of nice to see, thouygh.

If you insist on your current workflow, maybe you’d like to know this little trick:

As you drag out an elliptical marquee, you’re going to try to be pretty close to properly surrounding your coin, right? Well, before you let up on your mouse button to commit to the ellipse, press and hold your space bar. This will allow you to drag your current marquee around the document window. Move it so it’s closer to accurately surrounding your coin, then let up on the space bar—KEEPING YOUR MOUSE BUTTON DEPRESSED—and you can continue to resize the marquee.

Now, having said that, and knowing that you’ve remarked that you’ll be doing a lot of this type of photography, it would seem to me that your efforts would be better served by figuring out a way to properly shoot the coins so that the circular distortion you have to correct for is eliminated. Since you say the reason you have to tilt the coins is to get a better capture of the color, my guess is that you need to focus your efforts on a better lighting scheme. Get the light correct, and you’ll be able to shoot the coins straight-on, eliminating the circular distortion, and a whole lot of repetitive, finicky work in Photoshop.
O
OldBob
Aug 26, 2008
I don’t know about anyone else, but *I* like the scanner idea. I just tried it out. I seemed to remember trying this years ago and getting poor results, but dang if it didn’t work wonderful. A little tweaking here and there maybe. I’ll finally be able to catalog my collection. So, thanks for the tip and the links.
F
Freeagent
Aug 26, 2008
Ctrl T transforms selection content. I think the OP was more interested in transforming just the marquee.

To do that, there is Select > Transform selection (no default shortcut, but you can probably set one up).

I think Phos’ suggestion (scanning) is excellent. I’ve done that myself – not coins, but other metallic objects – and it works great.
P
Phosphor
Aug 26, 2008
"I seemed to remember trying this years ago and getting poor results…"

That’s exactly my story, Bob. I don’t know if there were radical differences between the two scanners’ way of working, or what, but when I explained how I was trying to photograph the 10 pfennig coin for my blog, the suggestion of scanning it instead just seemed like the respondent was guessing it might work. My earlier experience caused me to not even consider the idea.

But DANG! My current, crappy Epson scanner here at home did a great job on it. Then later, I read the articles on coin scanning that I linked to above, and saw that there are some cool methods for combining multiple scans in order to really capture the details of the coins’ surface. I’m sold on scanning for coins. It’s much easier (especially for someone who only does casual work like this) than mucking about trying to get the right set up with a camera, a copy stand and off-axis, diffused lighting.
P
Phosphor
Aug 26, 2008
"To do that, there is Select > Transform selection (no default shortcut, but you can probably set one up)."

As long as you keep the Marquee Tool active, "Transform Selection" will show up under your cursor when you call up the contextual menu.

But yeah, it could be handy to have "Transform Selection" configured with a custom shortcut. I HATE going to the main menus for stuff, especially for the functions I call on often.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
Select > Transform selection (no default shortcut, but you can probably set one up).

you definitely can. i have it set to Crtl-Shift-T because i use it all the time.

phos, nice tip on scanning the coins! 🙂
S
Silkrooster
Aug 27, 2008
Dave,
Thats an excellent tip. I should have thought of that. BTW Phos is right about using the scanner. It can be used for more than just documents and photo’s. A few years back I pick a leaf off the ground and scanned it in. Works great for solid objects.

Edit: If the OP wants to use a camera, then he is better off getting him self a macro flash for his camera. Then he shouldn’t have to tilt the coin.
CB
charles badland
Aug 27, 2008
If the OP is going to keep photographing coins (BTW, I think scanning them is good alternative as well) look into polarizing your light source AND using a polarizing filter on your camera lens. That combination will eliminate almost all reflections, plus allows you control (through rotating the lens polarizing filter) to gradually bring in enough reflection to make the subject look normal. No need to tilt your coin. The results of this double-polarizing technique can be pretty amazing. The only drawback is a 2-4 stop loss in exposure.
WC
Wes_Chormicle
Aug 27, 2008
Hello,
Thanks for all the tips! I did not mean to offend about not answering the scanning suggestion, I just kind of skipped over it. Here is a sample of what I’m doing:

< http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/wchormicle/Troys45-C opy.jpg>

I built the template and did all the correction work with the $60 program "MS Digital Image Pro"

I will try these suggestions tomorrow and see what happens. BTW, I would welcome any constructive criticism of the sample above. Keep in mind that up until a few months ago, I had never shot a digital picture with anything more than a $50 camera. Up until now, the only corrections I had done were basic crop, brightness and contrast adjustments. At 56 years old, it’s hard learning new tricks!
SB
Sandy Birrell
Aug 27, 2008
wrote:
Hello,
Thanks for all the tips! I did not mean to offend about not answering the scanning suggestion, I just kind of skipped over it. Here is a sample of what I’m doing:

< http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/wchormicle/Troys45-C opy.jpg>
I built the template and did all the correction work with the $60 program "MS Digital Image Pro"

I will try these suggestions tomorrow and see what happens. BTW, I would welcome any constructive criticism of the sample above. Keep in mind that up until a few months ago, I had never shot a digital picture with anything more than a $50 camera. Up until now, the only corrections I had done were basic crop, brightness and contrast adjustments. At 56 years old, it’s hard learning new tricks!

A table top studio like this might help you get better pictures. My son-in-law uses a similar one for his coins.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Table-Top-Photo-Studio-D-NEW_ W0QQitemZ130193226471QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130193226471&am p;_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

E-Mail:-
Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019 Fishing Wild at http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/
CB
charles badland
Aug 27, 2008
Wes, (in response to an email he sent me asking about my double-polarized setup.)

I bought my laminated polarizing film from Edmund Optics. <http://www.edmundoptics.com>
I jury-rigged a holder for the film in front of each light on my copy stand (Wire and clothes-pins!). Don’t get the film too close to the light, it will melt and discolor. Also be sure the pieces of polarizing film are oriented in the same direction. Camera is mounted on copy stand or tripod with a polarizing filter on the lens. Rotate the on camera filter for desired reflections.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Aug 29, 2008
Wes,

A couple of comments. Since you’re shooting at a slight angle to begin with, get a piece of white foamcore art board about 12" x 12" (I’d actually make it a 16" circle) and cut a hole in center, the size of your lens (you can use the lens shade as a guide and draw a circle around it). Affix this to the front of the lens. Hang a diffusion medium (I like Diffueuse from BD Supply, but Rosco sells similar material) to form a white “box” around the art board. Light through the diffusion material to get the relief that you want. The light reflecting off of the art board will fill in your coin’s face evenly, as it’s white. Watch that the black inside circle, where your lens pokes through, does not get reflected by the coin.

For your knockout, draw a circle with the Ellipse Tool (using guides for the “center” of your coin, hold down Shift & Ctrl to draw a circle from the center of the coin). Convert this Selection to a Path. Save the Path as Working Path, and then adjust the Bezier handles on this Path to exactly match the tilted coin. In the Path’s Palette, choose Make Selection. If you are not yet comfortable with Bezier curves in Paths, play with it a bit and read the manual and F1. This is a powerful tool for what you’re doing, so all learning can be easily applied to the rest of your coin shots.

Good luck,

Hunt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections