KB
Posted By
ken_baulch
Aug 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I purchased CS3 Web Premium it took several months of tooling around to get it to install on Vista HP. Photoshop cs3 worked fine for a few months after installation. It now refuses to open any files – just goes to an eternal spinning icon. When I try to shut it down, it just says not responding. I reinstalled once (takes hours) and it worked for an afternoon. Next morning back to not opening files.
Macine is dell xps M1210, 2Gb Ram, Core 2 T5600 processor, NVIDIA Go 7400 64Mb card. Help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Aug 26, 2008
hit ESC next time it happens, then try again.
KB
ken_baulch
Aug 26, 2008
hitting ESC has no effect
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 26, 2008
it doesn’t free up the program so you can do "file> open"?

have you reset the preferences per the FAQ? give that a shot. cures a lot of weirdness.
KB
ken_baulch
Aug 27, 2008
Problem (hopefully) solved!

file>open has always been available, but when i select a file and open it is when it hangs. Hitting esc then has no effect.

Tried the reset preferences – still no change.

A friend suggested delete all network printers and voila – it worked! Still keeping fingers and toes crossed every time I use pshop, a little annoying that I have to send files to another machine to print (fortunately I rarely need to print files), and input devices hard to use with everything crossed.

Thanks for suggestions Dave.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 27, 2008
no prob. glad you’re working.
JT
John_T_Smith
Aug 28, 2008
There is a known problem with slowness when a network printer is the default, with the solution being to set a local printer as default… even a "dummy" printer (you’ll have to search to find more information)

What happens if you set a local printer as default… then add a network printer back in but NOT active?
KB
ken_baulch
Aug 29, 2008
John, you’re absolutely correct – can have network printer as long as local printer is default. Thanks heaps!
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 29, 2008
can have network printer as long as local printer is default.

yes

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections